Getting US Passports for our children

Hi All,

I'm from the USA and my husband is Egyptian and we have 2 sons who we would like to get passports for. I am wondering if anyone has experience with this. They were born here in Egypt so I know we have to do a "report of a birth abroad" or something like this to get them a birth certificate and get things started but I am feeling rather overwhelmed with all of this and wondered if anyone can help. Do we have to apply in person or can we do it by mail?

Thanks to all for any advice you can give!

Take care,
Kia

My case is somehow similar ..My wife is egyptian and my both kids were born here. here is what you need to do

1. Hospital will give you a initial paper of birth ..take this paper to local govt. office to register the baby name. each town have its own birth registration office. It will take upto a week till you get birth registered . Also do ask them that you need to make a computerized copy of the same ..That you can get from place called Abbasia

2. By default they are entitled for Egyptian Nationality so there is nothing much you need to worry about. If you need them to get US citizenship too .probably you need to check the procedure with your local consulate

3. Once you have the official paper / Computerized copy of Birth registration your husband can apply to local passport office ( each area have his own designated govt. office).

since I do not speak Arabic my wife did all this effort. It shouldn't be hard for your husband

Advise: When you get the computerized copy of birth Certificate get the stamp of foreign ministry for small fee... It will help you if you need to get their birth registered in US Embassy in Cairo / Alexandria

Thank you so much for the advice!