New here! Questions

Hi,

I met a nice Vietnam woman online, She is 41 I am 53.

She is coming to visit me in Florida in January.

She has to go through tourist company because this is her first Trip to the USA.

She will land first in Chicago, and tour the Navy Pier there. Then they leave Chicago and travel to Orlando. After Orlando they travel to Miami.

What she WANTS to do is have me pick her up in Orlando and come and stay at my house a few days, then when it is time for her to leave, I drive her to Miami and she meets back up with the tour group.

I don't want her to get in trouble if she leaves the group in Orlando and comes to my house for a few days. Do you think she will not be in trouble if she does that?

She tells me the only way she can get Visa the first time is to go with tour group.

6 months later, if we agree after her visit, I will travel to Vietnam, Hanoi and visit her.

Thanks for any suggestions or help,

Zepo

Ok,

I've had some views but no replies,

My concern also is the tourist company is charging her $5,000+ USD plus to visit USA for only 9 days.

That just sounds absurd in price I think.

Is there any cheaper way for her to visit?

She is spending her own money. She did not ask me to contribute to the cost. But I would like her to explore other cheaper options if anyone here knows any.

Thanks,
Zepo

I mean, I can get a round trip ticket and a Visa To vietnam for I think around $1,500. Her having to spend $5,000 is wanting me to tell her no, don't do it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Zepo

You're not getting replies because this is a Vietnam expat forum, meaning, most people are going the other way.

Has she already been approved for a U.S. visitors visa? I ask because they are not easy to get. If the tourist company can get her a visa, the $5000 sounds about right. And I'm guessing the tour group will keep close tabs on her while she is here. If she were to take off and not come back the tour company would lose their license and be in a lot of trouble.

You're better off coming here to visit. It's cheaper and you'll learn a lot more about her here than there.

Thanks not a bit for the non-help. A better use of your time would be to go apologize to the christian you made fun of with your snake handler comment..

There were 3 options to pick when I joined here, Ex-Pat, Soon Ex-Pat or Non Ex-Pat. Do you know what I choose? And if so, does it mater?

I've read here for months, just registered to ask my question. I see a lot of Native Vietnamese post here also, are they "Ex-Pat".

Keep digging your grave, Adhome01.
I'm sure you being from the USA your are familiar with that saying.

Keep digging.

Zepo

Personally I don't know, As Adhome01 pointed out most of us, including myself, are flying into Vietnam. However, Adhome01's advise about you flying over to Vietnam seems like good, solid advice to me.

drutter wrote:

Personally I don't know, As Adhome01 pointed out most of us, including myself, are flying into Vietnam. However, Adhome01's advise about you flying over to Vietnam seems like good, solid advice to me.

She can come in January 2016 though, I cannot travel there to next July/August 2016. And well, we want to meet sooner than I can travel to her.

I was just wondering if there was a cheaper option for her in January. If there is not, she is happy to spend the 5K.

I'd just rather her not do that. I can't really tell her no, don't come, because she wants to , it's her money, and her idea. Like I said, looking for cheaper option for her if possible.

Zepo

Well, good luck with your search. I'm afraid I can't be of any help to you there, but I do agree that 5,000 sounds like a lot.

drutter wrote:

Also, I see plenty of post about getting my kid out, getting my fiance out, getting my wife out - Of Vietnam to USA.

I read and read prior post such as that above, but could not find an answer to my specific request.

Cheaper way for her to visit for the first time than going through a tourist company.

Zepo

drutter wrote:

Well, good luck with your search. I'm afraid I can't be of any help to you there, but I do agree that 5,000 sounds like a lot.

Well, that includes (I imagine) the flights, the tours to Chicago, Disney, Sea World, Miami Zoo, Everglades boat trip and all hotel bills and whatnot (maybe also meals I think).

Zep--

I say she takes the tour. Who knows maybe she'll meet a nice American man and fall in love.

Like, In December, she goes for her VISA interview...if she passes (or whatever you call it when you get the visa), why can she then not just buy a ticket and come directly to Orlando and stay at my place and we make our own vacation.

That is the part that puzzles me. Why does the tourist company need to be involved at all.

Zepo

Adhome01 wrote:

I say she takes the tour. Who knows maybe she'll meet a nice American man and fall in love.

We are laughing at you, not with you. I'm sure you know that one too.

Zepo

Zepo wrote:

Like, In December, she goes for her VISA interview...if she passes (or whatever you call it when you get the visa), why can she then not just buy a ticket and come directly to Orlando and stay at my place and we make our own vacation.

That is the part that puzzles me. Why does the tourist company need to be involved at all.

Zepo

You should wait until she passes the visa interview. Pass or fail they will not tell her why. Most people will not get a visitors visa without having substantial collateral to guarantee their return. I'm guessing by going through a Viet tour group that the company will in someway guarantee her return. Without her having family there or property/a lot of money here, it will be next to impossible for her to get a tourist visa and come there on her own.

Everything Adhome01 says sounds legit to me. US immigration is super strict. Traveling with a tour group or business group is a way that foreigners can get into the US for a short visit. She will be herded around in buses, restaurants, and hotels by handlers. You think she can ditch the group mid-trip and come stay with you? The US govt might not know, but her tour handlers will freak out. Get real.

For an individual to get a US visa, they need significant assets like property, maybe money in the bank, and a well paying job, plus I think a sponsor in the US, like a company, school, relatives. Does she have that?

Jeez Zepo, and why so defensive? You ask questions, you get answers here. It sounds like you are way to invested in a woman you have not even met. Personally I think you should be a man, and visit her here. Take her on a vacation to Phú Quốc or Đà Lạt. Do you know Asian culture? Have you been with traditional Asian women? The man pays, the man makes decisions, the man takes care of her. Not the other way around.

gobot wrote:

You think she can ditch the group mid-trip and come stay with you? The US govt might not know, but her tour handlers will freak out. Get real.

No, that is not what I think. That is what SHE thinks she can do. I asked if SHE could get in trouble for it. I am more than happy to travel and follow her group and be with her that way.

For an individual to get a US visa, they need significant assets like property, maybe money in the bank, and a well paying job, plus I think a sponsor in the US, like a company, school, relatives. Does she have that?

Yes, she has a home, a good office job, a 10 year old daughter, her mother lives with her and she cares for her, money in the bank, etc...
She has a cousin here with a green card. I think he's been here about 15 years. He lives in a different state than me though, MN.

Jeez Zepo, and why so defensive? You ask questions, you get answers here. It sounds like you are way to invested in a woman you have not even met. Personally I think you should be a man, and visit her here. Take her on a vacation to Phú Quốc or Đà Lạt. Do you know Asian culture? Have you been with traditional Asian women? The man pays, the man makes decisions, the man takes care of her. Not the other way around.

I have explained this above already. Seems some are unable to read and prefer to jump down my throat instead of comprehending what I have already written and explained.

I have to comb through all the BS and insults to get a little nugget of the information I seek.

Zepo

I just went through all posts in this thread  :)
Instead of answering OP's questions, some BS suggestions  :)
There are some BS words in dictionary - polite, humble, gratitude.....

If she really wants to got visitor visa to go to US, 1 cheaper way is:
You invite her come to see you, by the letter send to Us ambassy, you need to show up your income, your bill (water, gas, bank statement) to let them know you have enough money to pay for her trip and got the space for her on the time she comes to see you. Show them your converstation by chat or letter, show them the photos of both. And remember, whoever pay for this trip but on the document you need to show that you are the person is gonna pay.
I mean, you need to do a lot of document to show your real income and the friendship between you and her is real.
Also she need to to something els.
That's what I know.

hoangvanpham wrote:

You invite her come to see you, by the letter send to Us ambassy, you need to show up your income, your bill (water, gas, bank statement) to let them know you have enough money to pay for her trip and got the space for her on the time she comes to see you. Show them your converstation by chat or letter, show them the photos of both. And remember, whoever pay for this trip but on the document you need to show that you are the person is gonna pay.
I mean, you need to do a lot of document to show your real income and the friendship between you and her is real.
That's what I know.

This isn't remotely close to true. You cannot 'sponsor' her trip. She will have to qualify for the B2 on her own merit. There's nothing you can do to help her. If you have visa questions,  this is the wrong website. I suggest you go to the forums at:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum … ist-visas/

Frankly,  it's really tough to get a tourist visa,  but that shouldn't discourage her from trying. It's $170 for the interview,  and it's not guaranteed.

As for the tour group,  she should check with their policies first,  but as far as I know they can't legally stop her from going where she wants... wouldn't that be kidnapping?

Considering you two haven't met face-to-face yet,  I'd recommend you come here first. I know it's a longer wait for you,  but it may be worth the saved stress and heart ache of dealing with US immigration.

Lastly,  I strongly recommend NOT sending any money (I know you said she is paying,  but her story could change) until you meet face-to-face.

Best of luck.

tsshapiro wrote:
hoangvanpham wrote:

That's what I know.

This isn't remotely close to true. You cannot 'sponsor' her trip. She will have to qualify for the B2 on her own merit. There's nothing you can do to help her. If you have visa questions,  this is the wrong website. I suggest you go to the forums at:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum … ist-visas/

Frankly,  it's really tough to get a tourist visa,  but that shouldn't discourage her from trying. It's $170 for the interview,  and it's not guaranteed.

As for the tour group,  she should check with their policies first,  but as far as I know they can't legally stop her from going where she wants... wouldn't that be kidnapping?

Considering you two haven't met face-to-face yet,  I'd recommend you come here first. I know it's a longer wait for you,  but it may be worth the saved stress and heart ache of dealing with US immigration.

Lastly,  I strongly recommend NOT sending any money (I know you said she is paying,  but her story could change) until you meet face-to-face.

Best of luck.

Very helpful! Thank you, tsshapiro. I'm reading the site you linked now.

Zepo

You should visit her in Hanoi, I don't think it's a good idea for her to leave the group. This could create problems
for you down the road if you decide to marry her.
You can fly to Hanoi and live for a month for $2,000 which is less than half the price she will be spending.
Unless she comes from a wealthy family and wants to see the U.S.
But, I would not allow her to abandon her tour group.  They may over react to this.

whatsupjeff wrote:

You should visit her in Hanoi, I don't think it's a good idea for her to leave the group. This could create problems
for you down the road if you decide to marry her.
You can fly to Hanoi and live for a month for $2,000 which is less than half the price she will be spending.
Unless she comes from a wealthy family and wants to see the U.S.
But, I would not allow her to abandon her tour group.  They may over react to this.

Thanks for the advice. We have decided she will stay with the group.

May I  suggest that you just take your time and come over to Vietnam a few months after January. This whole thing of her coming to you and then disappearing from her group will only cause you and her a big problem. If she does this disappearing act I'm sure it will be a big problem for her if she ever wants to leave Vietnam again. Is isent going to hurt to waite a few months, and you will get to know the Vietnamese colture, meet her family find out more about her and have a great holiday. Something you can't do in a few days in the USA.

Update: :)

She came on Dec 20 and stayed with me for 18 days.  It was great! She did not go with a tourist group. She just did her interview as a regular tourist and got her VISA and bought a plane ticket.

Now, I am preparing to go the other way (Me going to Vietnam). I have my passport but have not yet applied for the Visa On Arrival letter.

I'm in the process of selling my home here in the USA, and once complete apply for the VOA letter and get the plane ticket.

So when the time gets close , 3 to 6 months (depending on house sale), I'll be heading to Hanoi.

I plan on spending the whole VISA time (3 months) there, but I may want to extend the time once or twice.

Are border runs still applicable in VN?

Or, can I just apply for a new VISA on Arrival letter every 3 months and fly out and fly back in?

What is the current best (legal) way to get a 3 month tourist visa extension (In other words)

Thanks for any advice :)

Zep--

Visiting a totally different country for the first time will be an enormous shock to your system -
Several things come to mind, mostly about packing light clothes and a hat, but one thing always tops the list - Ignore the doctor if he suggests anti malaria pills. Apart from being pretty useless, a lot of people get a seriously upset stomach. Stick to insect repellent creams.
Another thing to pack is an open mind. If you do that, you'll have a lot more fun.

Much as that sounded unpleasant and out of order, there is a level of reason behind it. Even if the lady in question isn't that way inclined, plenty are, so take a little care in relationships.

Fred,

Thanks!

You know I haven't really researched diseases yet, is Malaria a problem in VN for foreigners?

And Fred, yes, I can tell she is not that way. So I feel comfortable in our relationship. But I have read others stories.

Zep--

I suggest that you take out medical insurance cover too.
I go along with Fred re malaria. Just use a good repellent. wear long sleeve shirts and trousers from early evening onwards.

Zepo wrote:

I plan on spending the whole VISA time (3 months) there, but I may want to extend the time once or twice.

Are border runs still applicable in VN?

Or, can I just apply for a new VISA on Arrival letter every 3 months and fly out and fly back in?

What is the current best (legal) way to get a 3 month tourist visa extension (In other words)

The VOA letter is just for entering the country at an airport. If you will be staying in Vietnam for 3 months, a 'single entry' visa is fine, otherwise get a 'multiple entry' and you can leave VN and come back with the same visa. After 3 months, you can get a 3 month visa extension without leaving, I just use a visa agent, takes a week. On a tourist visa, I think someone said you can do that twice before having to do a border run, but I don't know.