VRT Test & Transfer of Number Plates - Advice Please

Hello All,

We are looking for some advice as we find our self's in a bit of a predicament
we brought our uk car over 2 months ago & we have decided to keep it
it has now run out of mot & tax so we cant use it at the moment
what I wanted to ask was....do we get a vrt test on it before we try to get the plates transferred
I have had a read of the tfm website but I can't find any info on our particular problem

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards
Adam

You can't get your plates transferred, what you have to do is inform  DVLA that the vehicle has been permanently exported by send in the V5C filled in.

Then apply to  TM to register your vehicle in Malta.

Your problem will be when they ask you when the vehicle was imported and why you didn't start the registration process then?

This link gives you the information regarding the registration process in Malta.

http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … or-vehicle

There is a penalty payment for not registering the vehicle within 30 days (I think) of its import and yes you will need a VRT before you start the registration process.

Terry

Thank you for the info

Kind Regards
Adam

Forgot to mention that the vehicle is at the moment illegal both in the UK and Malta.

Any delay in starting the registration process will just increase the fine.

Some have tried taking the vehicle to Sicily and returning, then using the return ticket to establish this as the entry date of the vehicle to Malta.
However in your case, the cost of the ferry crossing may well exceed the fine!

If you have owned the vehicle for more than two years prior to its import you may be exempt from the registration fee.

Terry

You might find this also useful to know...
I can only give you the benefit of my own personal experience . I brought my car in March which I had shared with my daughter for two years with me and although I had been driving it for two yrs the log book was still in her name and I only changed it  a month before arriving. To keep the car here was 1,773 euro in Vat and by the time I had paid for the plates, admin , Jevic, car insurance tax and everything else it was going to cost over E 2,500 . It wasnt worth iit.
I had a meeting with one of the main guys at Transport Malta.

Here is what I was officially permitted to do and was legal and all above board
Drive the car for 6 mths as a 'tourist'  and to do this you must keep your GB sticker on the car. You actually get allowed 7 mths but the car must go off the island by that point.

You can not become a resident and file for an ID card in that time as once you file for residency you must register the car. Without the Id card you can still apply for your social security number, tax and banking  regardless but it becomes a faf without an employment contract.

If you are coming for employment then all you need is proof of your employment contract and go to the offices with every bit of paperwork, keep the car taxed and insured in the Uk at all times, and give them your employment contract and 35 euros, they will give you a temporary permit for your car for 1 year ( by that point you have achieved 1 yr and 7 mths with the car in the country)
At the end of the 7mths I didnt have any proof that my car had come into Malta on the ferry as we had discarded the tickets ( your meant to keep them) even though I had proof of this digitally it wasnt enough for them so they suggested I take the car off the island for a few days , go visit Sicily and re enter, keep the documents of entry and return with all paperwork and money for permit. Done within 3 hrs.

If you want to ship it over or return it then I would highly recommend you use a company based here and in England called Trotters Independent traders Malta. They offer a really good price to import / export your car for you with as little fuss as possible. For mine it was £650.

To get European insurance in Uk for 365 days of the year... Asdas 5* policys are the only ones that will cover you. For me it was less than £300 for the year on fully comp on an 09 plate including breakdown in europe.

The only issue I have come up against is the Mot as this has to be done in the uk so it will be due next year before the permit expires .....Im still trying to figure out if theres a way round that one!

It really isnt as hard as people make out it is. I have to say though  once you make that road trip with the car , your here to stay because its not something I would want to do again. Good luck with the journey!