Flying dogs from Malta to london

Hi...
I'm really struggling with getting information about flying my dog home for Christmas and thought someone on here might know more...
We want to fly British airways rather than air Malta as we would get a bigger baggage allowance for Christmas bits...
But, for the life of me I can't find anyone who can tell me which cargo department deals with British airways here in Malta .... It seems to me there is only an air Malta cargo department but that can't be right.
Has anyone had an success flying pets on anything other than air Malta??
I must have called about 20 numbers!
Any advise would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Amy

This is the company that handles pet travel for BA.

https://www.iagcargo.com/iagcargo/portl … ve_animals

Terry

I know this post is old but did you have any luck Amy?

We're looking to relocate and ideally we'd use BA to take our two guys with us but like you say there seem to be no BA/IAG agents in Malta.

And just because BA like to make things hard you can't book direct with IAG you need to go thru and agent and we can't find one in Malta.

All the UK agents we've spoken to can help with clearance at the UK end of the trip and the onward journey but we have to get them on the BA flight first...

BA allows up to to 10 suitcases per passenger at a reasonable 30 something euros per bag. The Air Malta support person I spoke to yesterday said they only allow 2 additional bags per passenger. This doesn't sound right but I don't want to keep calling customer support hoping someone gives me a different answer. Booking the dogs via Air Malta does seem easier but then the extra bags kills us (waiting on a quote from excess luggage for this though).

Any insight you can offer gratefully appreciated.

Tim

This link explains the Air Malta excess baggage policy...
http://www.airmalta.com/information/bag … ss-baggage

Air Malta will carry dogs but according to the terms and conditions the dogs form part of your excess baggage allowance.

"8.9.2 If accepted as Baggage, the animal, together with its container and food, shall not be included in your free Baggage allowance, but shall constitute excess baggage, for which you will be obliged to pay the applicable rate."

This link gives the Air Malta info on dog transport...

http://www.airmalta.com/information/cus … -with-pets

and this company handles the pet transport..

https://www.iagcargo.com/iagcargo/portl … ve_animals

Terry

Thanks Terry I've already read those. If we use AM we'd have to send the dogs as cargo as the only way they can enter UK via air.

I'm hoping someone has practical experience of BA/IAG. The issue being is there are no IAG agents in Malta and the UK ones don't want to touch the booking of the dogs at the Malta end.

T.

I don't understand as IAG handle the travel arrangements to Malta, once in Malta the vet will meet you and the dog at the cargo terminal and check the paperwork.
The airline you use is up to you but AIG are the agents that arrange the flight to Malta, they don't accompany the pet as its in the cargo hold.

Terry

You're right Terry, this is pretty complicated, it was far easier to bring them into the country on Emirates!

So... I'm looking to fly two dogs from Malta to UK (and then onwards but that parts easy to sort as we've got the details of everything we need)
Dogs have to go Cargo to UK.
We want to fly BA since they have a much better excess luggage policy than AM (or at least BA advise each passenger can take up to 10 bags (inclusive of included allowance as opposed to AM who state 2 additional bags). I should also add out final destination is only available direct with BA so wanted to use the same company throughout.

To book cargo on BA you need to book via IAG (all part of the same group) and this is where the problems start...

Members of the public cannot book direct with IAG you have to go through an approved agent (just got off the phone with IAG and received the same information from their Gatwick office to which I'd already received via email).
There are no IAG agents in Malta to do the booking with.
The approved IAG agents in the UK to date have said they can help clear the dogs at Gatwick and sort everything out for thier outbound trip but not initiate the booking / customs processes / paperwork in Malta to get them on the plane in the first place.
The number I just got from IAG for their recommended UK agent doesn't work so I'll start the whole process again tomorrow and see if I can get any more info.

This is why I was really hoping Amy had already solved this issue :)

Ahh, your OP didn't make it clear that you wanted to fly your dogs from Malta!

What about booking with Lufthansa, they allow you to book your dogs yourself?

It may mean going via an alternative country.

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/ … 3&l=en

Terry

Just an update, IAG have advised they/BA do not do cargo from Malta to UK due to an embargo?!

Anyhow looks like AM it'll be!

Any pet entering/leaving the UK has to be cargo on any airline.  Might be less hassle to fly to france and ferry in, no idea.  But if flying it has to be cargo.

Best speak to Thompson Travel, their agent, aia, provided quote within hours. They fly weekly to UK. They advised 800 gbp for our two small dogs.☺

Thanks to Terrapin for mentioning Thompsons in one of her posts.

To add to this my wife spoke to AM today and they can fly direct to Gatwick, Heathrow and Manchester. The two dogs for EUR700.

Just to collect all the info in one place... I got this from speaking to Animal Aircare Company Limited who run the Animal Reception Centre at Gatwick.

When the dogs land at Gatwick they will be automatically taken to the Animal Reception Centre which is in the Cargo terminal. We will collect checked luggage, clear customs and go collect my hire car. We'll drive round to ARC where they will explain the short process to get a release note, I walk a few doors down to get this, go back to ARC and the dogs will be released to us. As the flights originate in Europe there is no need to complete the C5 form.

I think now have all the info required to get the dogs to the UK before they follow me to Bermuda a few weeks later.

1. Book flights
2. Ring Air Malta cargo to book dogs
3. Fly
4. Collect dogs from ARC

I've skipped the parts about pet passports, jabs etc as these seem to be well documented here https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

Thanks to everyone who chipped in with advice.

Tim