Moving from UK to BG using International Standard Shipping Containers

We have a fair bit of kit being farmers and engineers and would need to transport the heavy equipment by sea in a Shipping Container to Varna for example . This equipment will not be for resale or business use ,purely for our own subsistance farming .

Does anyone have experience of this and any costs ,times , paperwork ,duties ,fees and other impedimentia involved ? Is this indeed the best way form UK/BG transport of possesions or are other routes or means a better choice ?

I guess in all European community country members is the same.
You will need a broker in UK to make on official  paper detailed list for what's in the container. In Bulgaria you will need another broker to clear the container from customs etc. according to the list (witch as I said mast me detailed) you brought from UK.
I think will be no taxes and duties since are coming from a Eur. com. country.
Personally I would pay the shipping comp. to deliver the container to the final destination so you dont worry about transportation, cranes etc.

Hi

we feel your pain!  We have so  much equipment and also a decent set of scaffolding that we need to transport across.  We'd ideally like to take a mini digger too.  Containers are pretty expensive if you factor in the work needed at each end and the customs paperwork.  I've heard Shipley is a good firm to put your goods for carriage up for tender. Any number of companies offering part load space will offer quotations.  I think we're going for a TWB, LWB box van to drive our stuff over

I cost my move and the price was way beyond my budget, So my trusty old LWB sprinter has been volunteered to do the job! Even though it will mean three trip's I will be saving myself over £1500, which when things are tight to begin with is a significant sum! I might be lucky and find a back load to bring to UK on the return trip which will cut the cost of each return run! This will make a significant difference in cost. I have almost 1/2 ton in personal tools as a multi-skilled tradesman to transport without the domestic stuff and furniture!

We are in exactly the same position!  We're going to buy a LWB TWB box van to make the trips but we'll be selling it on the last trip as we have a trusty transit for our everyday needs once there.  We're just selling off our scaffolding because it's so heavy and long.  We don't want to because we have to do our roof in BG.  Well to be honest we have to do everything.  Have you got a date for moving yet?  We have been trying to sell out house here since October with the hope of being out there by April.  Sadly it's not happening that way.  We also have to buy and make ready for rental something in cheap old Wales so we have an income for BG

My move is probably as complex as your own. At the moment, I have two thirds of my belongings in a 20 x 12 shed on a piece of land I own in Somerset. The other third is loaded in my van ready to roll. Though I live just above Coventry. So I will make three trips leaving the Sprinter in Bulgaria after the last and flying back to the UK, to collect my X-Trail and that will be my final drive over! I'm looking at the 28th of this month (March, 16) for my first trip, then when I get back here I must sell my American Motorhome I've lived in full time for the past seven years. This will finance the rest of the move and give me a year's living allowance to get things started! Like yourselves, it will be a renovation whilst I live in the place but, at least, my place is weather tight so it's just a total new interior I'm doing!

Hey one things for sure you'll have some timber/broken trees to burn, I came over last week for the first time this year, was surprised to found how many trees had been pruned by nature! I had hoped to stay in the house, but damn it was cold especially mornings, so I hired a little van and worked by daylight hours decorating, varnishing, and general garden tidying although the latter is an on going job. (but if my back holds out it'll be good, white washing walls on sunny days last week while part of UK was encountering snow, yeah BG wins!)
I am near renovation but do not have the funds to up sticks from UK need to hatch a plan?
I stayed in a hotel near by not the little van! :)

All good information.  Seems like we are all in similar positions though I'm envious of your water tightness!  We've got a roof but there are 2 areas that have leaked over 7 years before we got the property so whilst they were small holes we've decided to redo the whole thing by ourselves ;(  We have windows and doors but not in much of a condition.  It's going to be a long old job.  We have to take down 3 pines in close proximity to  the house and there is a huge walnut in the back of the yard that I'm sure suffered some natural prunage in the snow. Lots of wood for building, burning in the future. I have to say I'm a tad envious that one of you is there and the other about to set off.  Not too long for us hopefully.  I'd like to keep in touch to exchange experiences

When I last visited my property it was December 2012. I could not see the garden as it was pitch black but the shadows were about 10ft tall, so I know I have my work cut out but I love working with and in nature! I was smashed up in a collision in 2009 and as a result, of that lost my business and my lovely 4-bed house, which reduced me to living in a motorhome, but it has taught me that I do not need many luxuries to get by. I now live on perhaps £25 a week, and live withing my means. I have very little money but a lot of talent and hope this may just help me get by. I am a healer and would love to turn my little home into a healing sanctuary. Though as you say this takes money! At least once I'm settled I can do the journey by plane in 4 hrs for about £50 as opposed to 4 days and £600.

I'm all for keeping in touch with my new friends I've found here and if I can be of any help just let me know! I have spent most of my working life on sites as an electrical engineer and am no stranger to helping others. I'm sure we could work something out because that's the old way of life, that I yearn to get back to when money wasn't needed because people all worked together and helped each other however they could with whatever they had! It's going to be a long hopefully sunny summer and lots to get done before life can be relaxing and enjoyable! :-)

Coming straight back at you and one of the main reasons for moving to Bulgaria.  We're very happy to keep in touch and swap skills :)

I've just hit an obstacle, I can't get breakdown cover for my sprinter because it's covered over 150,000 miles! It has actually just clocked 199,000 and probably will do another 100,000 whilst I have it. It's such a pity the speedo broke, I may have to get another to fit in its place. All's fair in love and war against the system....