Professional Visa validity??

I'm not in Ecuador right now, however with help of a local attorney/likes I've applied for a Professional Visa. It would take a month of two before it is processed. Now I'm wondering once the visa is assigned how long will it hold valid without me having to visit Ecuador. Lets say, if I get the Visa by Dec 2015, is it ok for me not to visit until Dec 2016 and still claim its validity?

Apologies, if my question isn't clear.

vpbuzz wrote:

I'm not in Ecuador right now, however with help of a local attorney/likes I've applied for a Professional Visa. It would take a month of two before it is processed. Now I'm wondering once the visa is assigned how long will it hold valid without me having to visit Ecuador. Lets say, if I get the Visa by Dec 2015, is it ok for me not to visit until Dec 2016 and still claim its validity?

Apologies, if my question isn't clear.

VP, your question is crystal-clear.

But you're not going to like this answer. :cool:

Once an Ecuadorian residency visa is issued -- and a professional visa counts as such -- you may be outside Ecuador only 90 days in each of the first two years .. or else your visa privileges are at risk.  And by 'at risk,' I mean you will probably lose them.

There could be some leeway since the visa will not be registered until you arrive in Ecuador.  Make sure your "local attorney/likes" is aware of your travel plans so you can potentially adjust your planning and have a shot at actually enjoying visa-privileges when you get to La República. :)

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia is absolutely correct.  I am an American expat living in Ecuador for almost three years now.  I have a professional 9-V visa, but got it here after getting a non-residency visa.  Another thing to take into consideration is that you will need to get an Ecuadorian 'Cedula', an official identity card, with your residency visa, and I think they typically urge you to get this within 60 days.  Once you get the professional visa, the process for getting a cedula is quite easy actually.