Need information please..

Hi everyone.

I am soon to start a job with Aramco. I will not be a direct hire, so I assume I cannot stay in the compound. I am excited but very nervous also. I currently live in Alberta. I am wondering what life will be like outside the compound.

What do I do with my time off, I will work Mon-Friday

They say there is no dating or sex?, what is the situation on this. I am single and wondering what can my social life be like with either ladies from Ras Tanura or other ladies working there. Can a guy date?

What shall I wear when I am out in public or rnning for exercise, are there gyms to work out in?

I guess there is no drinking except in the compounds?

I also have not seen any places to rent online, are there places and how much can I exspect to pay?

I know I have alot of questions, the more information and points of view I get will help me alot, thank you in advance

Hi RobertP, welcome on Expat-blog! :) Your discussion has been introduced as a new thread on the Saudi Arabia forum. Good luck.

Thank you, I really appreciate it

Could anyone also tell me the distance from Al Suwaidi to Ras Tanura, and if I do not have a car, how would i get to work each morning

Hi Robert,

First of all, good luck with the job and welcome to Saudi. I think the blog may be a bit quiet this week as a few people have probably disappeared for the Eid holiday (as I will be in a few hours), but here are a few pointers. Hopefully they help:

As you will find, it is difficult to get any real idea of the life here from the internet because nothing happens here, except for what happens behind closed doors. Obviously, remember that compounds have big doors, so my advice is to try to sort accommodation out with your employer - compounds are definitely best, especially if you have never been out here before. You can PM me your email address if you have any more specific questions...

I have been here for a couple of months now and I will soon have a car. If you can drive you will because there is no public transport infrastructure in many places. You will be rather dependent on taxis (learn to haggle, agree prices beforehand, never agree to pay the meter rate, ask people what the 'correct' prices are first if you can) and being a westerner the prices will be higher.

Well, I have been ill for nearly 2 weeks and I have a bad headache, so I hope that makes sense.

Good luck, and I hope you receive the info you want/need.

Martin

hi robert,

welcome to riyadh.

i had the same feeling with you before during my travel here in riyadh. Its a quite well interesting and a bit scary too.

I agree with martin with regards with the transportation. its so hard taking from one place to another in this extremely hot weather.

Good luck to your new carrier in KSA..

jr

Greetings Robert:

Welcome: First off, If you're referring to the Al Suwaidi compound, it is in Ras Tanura, about a 5 minute taxi drive to the ITC training center, which I imagine is probably where you would live. Now a poster above has said that "compounds are definitely best". Well, I don't know if he's visited the Suwaidi compound but it's not what most people here would consider a typical employee compound for westerners. It's more for what are considered 3rd country nationals, meaning there are few amenities that are often found in compounds that cater to Western workers from the US or UK. And it's not cheap. You could do much better with your housing allowance by looking at apartments that are closer to the shops and commerce in Ras Tanura. You mentioned transportation and Suwaidi is pretty much a long walk from anything. Now as for dating and the rest... Well, we'll just have to talk about that when you get here. Feel free to give me a call. I'm sure my phone number is posted here somewhere.
Sincerely, -pbn

hi Robert
All i can say is Welcome to Saudi Arabia you will experience everythng when u are here but remember,,the DATING and Drinking that u mentioned are nt allowed,,,,,anyway good luck,,,,ths is not the same as where u coming from where everythng is in abundance in terms of wt we mentioned above.

WOW is all I can say.

I am now somewhat, well not feeling good about it.

I will not have a car for awhile, and not sure if Aramco will provide one. I assume Ras Tanura is not a big place. So would it be possible to get a apartment close t the training center,and if I can how much do anyone think it would be and is it furnished and air conditioned with all the items to set up house, stoves, fridge, bed, etc.

So if I ned groceries, I will need to taxie or walk I guess, and how far is that.

How much can I exspect to pay for apartment verus compound??

It seems it would be so much easier if you are a direct hire with Aramco!!

So, I guess there are places to buy cloths as I am not sure how much luggage I can take down with me.

This will certainly be a change in life style.

The beer, etc is no problem, but there is no dating of any type, so if I see a western lady or even asian, there is no way we can date??

I know alot of questions??  Love to hear more from you all

Thank you

Bob

Welcome to KSA! Hope you get the practical issues sorted out.

I'll answer to the few things I know:

So, I guess there are places to buy cloths as I am not sure how much luggage I can take down with me.

Sure there is. From the second-hand souq (kind of like a bazaar/marketplace) to the fanciest malls and everything in between. Not finding stuff to buy or products you need will not be an issue here at all. Getting it all back home will be. :)

The beer, etc is no problem, but there is no dating of any type, so if I see a western lady or even asian, there is no way we can date??

Ok, that was a bit weirdly put, but you certainly can date here, as long as you do it in secret. :):) You'll learn from others what to do and where to go.

So if I ned groceries, I will need to taxie or walk I guess, and how far is that.

You can always take a cab, they're so cheap here. If you go to the store once-twice a week it should not break anyone's budget. Groceries are pretty cheap also, so going to buy them by taxi sort of evens it out. (Or is that just my logic?)

And what comes to drinking... well... I wouldn't panic about that either. :P

(Oh my, this is the first time I'm actually giving someone advice here. Feels pretty nice, actually!) :)

The advice is very well put together

I thank you alot for the info.

I am wondering also how hard it is to rent a place in Ras Tanura outside the compound, how much could I exspect to pay and will it be fully equipped, and how close to the training center??

Bob