Binh Thanh District for 4-6 weeks cheapo

Hi,
    I'm hopefully doing the month-long CELTA course at Apollo starting 16 November, but work in Phnom Pehn until 14th and so only really have a day to arrange something. I'm also applying for a new passport, which means I might need the room for six weeks. The centre is at 129 Dien Bien Phu, 15 Ward, Binh Thanh District. I know hcmc a little. I know a nice place in Pham Ngu Lao for 10us ac and am pretty sure I could get it minus AC cash in advance for quite a bit less, but it would mean bussing there and back, perhaps from Behn Market? Is that easy/doable? How much is a taxi, roughly?

If not, are there cheap rooms in that area, Binh Thanh? 10pd is really my budget as the course cost cleaned me out. Any hotel names I could look into?

I would say staying in Pham Ngu Lao and shuttling is not what I'd recommend. Firstly, the area is noisy and in most places you'll have a hard time to find real rest or quietness to work/study, or even sleep. Then it is a bit of a hassle with those public buses, taxi I'd estimate 80-120k. You could arrange with a xe om (maybe as low as 40K VND one way).

Sure there are lots of better options in the Binh Thanh area. So even if you only have a day or two before your course starts, I'd check into that hotel you know and go to reconnoiter your target area. You could also get a xe om and spend some time after the course (in the evening) to drive around the surrounding area and see what there is (I think there should be thousands within a 1 km range).

Since I'm not far away from that area and drive around there frequently, I'll keep an eye open for 129 DBP and let you know if I see something "recommendable".

Thank you, that's useful. It's pretty reassuring that there are many places in that area. I'd be arriving Saturday afternoon, so I could perhaps even look around the same day.

Hi Lifemagic
I have a advice to you, you should rent a room in binh thanh because it is easy to travel to your center (the distance from Binh Thanh is shorter than district 1 and there are a lots traffic jam in district 1 in rush hours), the expenses (for food, drinking, traveling..) is cheaper than district 1 ( as I know district 1 is the most expensive place in Ho Chi Minh city).
I know your center so I will recommend to you some hotel nearby.

Next to my house is the big apartment for rent. You just need to pay 1 room, 300usd/month or less than. The room with full furniture.
4 Phu My Street, Ward 22, Binh Thanh district, near Saigon Pearl.
PM me you want to know more.
Good luck

I would like to share you some where you can stay in Binh Thanh district or other district. I'm studying English and i want to practise it, so may you help me ?
I can share you a lot of experience of this country. Exp: food, entertainment, travel...
Dont hestitate to contact me, i'll help you as much as possible.
I just want to improve my English skill, so nothing is charge here.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share personal contact infos on the forum, you could use our private message system for that.

Thanks for the offer; I might take you up on it. The issue is that I think the course I'm on is pretty intensive and I might be too tired to converse much when I get in at night. Possibly after the course, which would be December 10...

Hi !
Apolo is near my house. I think you better stay nearby Apolo then it is easier for you to walk for work. Also there are bunch of rooms for rent in this area, where is come along with a canal that is beautiful and relaxed. Also it takes around 20 mins to Bui Vien street, foreign street, where should hang out at weekend.
If you need help then let me know. :)

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Publicity not allowed on forum. Please drop advert in Housing section