Buying wedding rings in Sofia

A bit obscure but the internet is always worth a try.

I'm looking to buy 2 wedding rings in Sofia. Ideally I'd just like a regular jewelry shop... nothing super high end, where we could go to try on rings. We're after something pretty straight forward and traditional. Any recommendations for a place to go. We've tried a few of the malls and not come across the sort of place we're thinking (I guess in the US, Australia or the UK what I would have in mind would be a standard chain/high st store).

I would buy one from the states if I were you

Well so would I if I was in the States... but it really would be a lot more convenient to buy it here if I could find a suitable place.

You can always get it shipped, that's what I do with all clothing shoes and so on, the only thing I buy in BG is food. I suggest that because the quality is better and in most cases better price and the security of knowing that want you are buying is legit

Do you have an issues with customs? I only ask because I've had horribe (and expensive) experiences with customs here taking things and then me having to take a lot of time and money to get them released.

I've never had anything disappear or "get lost". Now there is a 20% tax based on the value of the item, they even go as far as asking proof of purchase (your credit card statement with the transaction). That's the only downfall from ordering from outside the EU. Now if someone ships it as a personal item (like a friend of family member) then tax is based on the declared value, $60 or less no tax. Rarely they will ask you to open the package infront of them to see what's in there.

I've never had anything disappear. But getting it from customs (as a non-Bulgarian speaker) is a huge pain. It definitely puts me off ordering from outside of the EU.

My sister-in-law's husband has a jewelry shop in Pernik (outside of Sofia to the southwest a little bit). If you cannot find a shop that you like in sofia proper, I can send you the information of his shop. He does custom work and has already made pieces in both silver and gold. He speaks a little bit of English, but I could talk to my sister-in-law about arranging to meet you at his shop, if you are interested. (She speaks English).

And as far as post goes- I have had several packages through regular post be opened and certain items missing, but through a courier or through post with sign on delivery it has been fine.

kojidae thanks for the offer, if I find myself having to head out towards Pernik I'll contact you and get the details from you - I wouldn't go there just for this though. Presumably if there's someone in Pernik doing this then there's someone in Sofia doing it too.

If I do decide to order from outside the country I don't think I'd try to have them shipped into Bulgaria. I'd try to find someone who was traveling this way and could bring them for me.