Motorcycle license

Hello,

I plan to move to Manila next month.
I don't have a motorcycle license yet but i'd like to got one there.

Do you know if if possible to have it from scratch as a foreigner with a work visa ?

Thank you very much.

Your USA license is good for 60 days but unless you show them your passport they do not know how long you have been here.

If you have a USA drivers license, go to AAA and get your international drivers license.  It is good for a year here till it expires.  You can then go down to LTO and apply for your Philippine Drivers License.  They will want to see your US License, International License and Passport, plus the Philippine Drivers License application and they will process it for you.  Here they do not have a separate license for motorbikes like in the USA.  Motorbikes here are 175cc or smaller, otherwise you will have to pay additional fees to register a bike with an engine larger than that.  Here you can carry just about as many people as you can safely carry on the bike.  I have seen Mom, Dad and three kids on them riding all over.  You also need to keep in mind, there are no road rules, even though they exist, but not followed.  Courtesy is the way they drive here and use their horns a lot. 

If you don't have a USA license, then you may have go thru the regular process of drivers ed and exams.

Hope this help, RAC

You will rarely get stopped unless they have a check point. Even if there is a road block do not stop unless they wave you over. Most cops are intimidated by foreigners and are hesitant to stop you because their English is limited. If they do stop you and want a bribe, just pay them, it is the easy way out. It will take you a year or longer to get a license plate and they will tell you not to drive but everybody does. Once you get a temporary number from the LTO, have a plate made with that number and keep the document in your wallet that shows that number.

rcampsr wrote:

If you don't have a USA license, then you may have go thru the regular process of drivers ed and exams.

Hope this help, RAC

You can convert almost any current foreign licence to a Philippines licence, not just a USA one, for 618 peso

See this page:
http://www.gov.ph/services/driverslicen … ne-license

You will need:
Original copy of medical certificate with official receipt issued by an LTO accredited or government Physician.
Negative drug test result issued by DOH accredited drug testing center or government hospitals

Your I card will show and it must be a permanent visa iCard even if you get a license on a tourist visa if the police stop you they will ask for your I card if not permanent they will keep your license

I live in La Union (northern Luzon) have a 250cc motorcycle and the dealer registered it for 3 years upon purchase.  Best thing to do about drivers license is to get your motorcycle endorsement before coming here. Philippines uses the endorsement thing just like the states...Police often setup checkpoints just to look at your drivers license so get the endorsment