Car insurance

Any advice on getting car insurance? We will be getting a used suv and will be looking at liability insurance. We don't plan on driving a lot. We will be on the Carribean side of CR if that makes a difference.

Liability comes with the yearly marchamo.

Thanks

Re insurance - David Garrett, 2233-9520.  I don't remember the name of the company.  They speak English.

Gringo friends had an accident and this carrier paid quickly with no issues.  Their prices are very reasonable, especially compared to the States.

I have a 2002 4Runner and it costs under $600 per year for full coverage.

- Expat Dave

The yearly Marcharmo fee includes about $11,000 worth of liability coverage.  Most people buy more coverage thru INS, the government related insurance company.

We use INS for the full coverage and it is about $600 for a 2009 Hyundai 4x4

TerrynViv wrote:

We use INS for the full coverage and it is about $600 for a 2009 Hyundai 4x4

Have you guys heard from anyone that has needed to use their INS insurance?  ...and how it went.  Just curious as it's a government agency and you know how they can be here. 

- Expat Dave

Have heard of three people, two were cars and they went fine.  The other was a home invasion and theft and the owner was not the least bit happy.  There were a lot of "marital politics" involved with the invasion.

Just bought insurance for a 1999 car via INS agent.
$50/month at every 3 months; cheaper if you pay ahead for a year. That's full coverage.
However I was told all full coverage is $500 deductible, there is no lower deductible available.

I was also told - by the agent - if someone steals my car or if I'm in an accident it could take a month or two months to get another car. I said "What do I do in the meantime without a car? Is there rental coverage?"
He looked at his computer as if it were a very unusual request and came back with some ridiculous figure of an extra $100/month or something for that extra rental car coverage. I laughed and said "okay, no then".

So basically you get full coverage for around $50/month but it's not nearly as good as full coverage in the USA.