Americans in Mauritius?

I've been reading this board for awhile and I enjoy it. However, I rarely see posts from other Americans. I'm wondering if there are many Americans living/spending in time in Mauritius and what their experiences might be, both good and bad? How difficult or easy was the transition and what have been the best/worst things about your adopted home?

I plan on visiting next year with the eye towards, if not actually moving there, then coming over for long stays occasionally. It sounds like a great place -- but that's from 10,000 miles away.

Secondly, and this is for anyone living in Mauritius, when I visit I'd like to do all the usual tourist stuff -- beaches, Grand Baie, Cachamel, Caudan Waterfront, Mahebourg, Black River Gorges National Park, etc. -- but what areas would one recommend to stay more long-term, if it came to that? I wouldn't be working so there's no need to be close to employment centers.

The beaches sound great but are they too overwhelmingly touristy and full of ex-pats if you're staying for more than a few days? I'd like to get know the "real" Mauritius but somewhere like Curepipe seems rainy and traffic-choked, or am I wrong on that? I would like to be near the usual conveniences so what would be a compromise between these two sides of Mauritius? Phoenix-Vacoas? Moka? Quatre Bornes? Beau Bassin-Rose Hill? Some area of Port Louis?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I look forward to the replies.

Hey Dhalgren,

As a Mauritian, I'd like to welcome you to our beautiful island.  You'll definitely spend a pleasant and memorable time here.  As regards your query on the most convenient place to stay for a while here, I'd say Quatre Bornes for many reasons, but the most important ones are as follows: (a) it is located in the center of the island (b)it is a 15-minute drive away from Flic-en-Flac, the beautiful beach in the western coast of the island (c) it is easily accessible by bus from anaywhere and connected to most important towns (d) it has a temperate climate (e)it comprises quite a few big supermarkets, a main vegetables market, an apparels market, a wellness park (f) it is green and lush everywhere (by the way, it is also called the City of Flowers), and (g) it's my town and I love it!

Cheers!

+1 Girish23.

@Dhalgren: I would also recommend Quatre Bornes for everything mentionned above!

Thanks for the responses. That sort of lines up with what I was thinking.

Hi,

I'm not saying don't stay in QB, but you can live elsewhere and still visit QB to experience the "real Mauritius"

There are plenty of beaches that aren't full of expats and nor are they touristy. In the West you can go to La Preneuse, or even Le Morne, it's a great day out, with a nice café there. Or further south one of my favourites is Baie Du Cap, about 20 minutes drive south of Black River. Its an amazing drive, there's a popular attraction at Maconde, basically gives you a 200 degree lookout of the South West, its amazing and stops traffic... and a few minutes after Maconde, just drive you car up onto one of the grassy areas and have a bbq, bagette, some Phoenix (:) and watch the world go by. Or you can go East where the beaches aren't as busy but its a longer drive.

Again, it depends on budgets etc on where you'd like to stay versus what you can afford to stay in.

I only know of 3 American families here at the moment, one from Texas, one from Chicago, and the other one is from LA.

All with young families, their biggest issues here are schooling, but if you're a retiree, then that comment is probably not very relevant :)

I remember when I was in Mauritius in 2006/7 there was an America travel company called Orbitz.com setting up their call centre in Mauritius, not sure if they are still here, but I met quite a few Americans working for the company....