Retiring to Belize - Any advice? Do we loose our canadian healthcare?

Hi everyone!  Hubby and I plan to retire to Belize and visit this April.  Any advice? Where do you recommend?  How about healthcare?  Do we lose our Canadian healthcare or can we get it back if we move back to Canada?  Thanks in advance!

Healthcare is by province but in general if you are out of Canada for 6 months your healthcare will lapse, on going back you re-enter the system 3 months waiting period.
Where to go is a very large topic, would need to know more details.
The hospitals here are n\c when you register, but do-not expect a high level of care, but seem competent for most common problems.
A doctors visit is relatively inexpensive and drugs are reasonable.

You really need to visit for an extended period to find out most things
Major medical treatment is also available in Chetumal, Mexico at a reasonable cost.

Hope this general info helps some.

Monica and Claude! That really is a loaded question :-) Beach, jungle, mountains, touristy area, village or more remote.  Budget, interests, proximity to markets, shopping and services. Travel to each District as they are all very different.
Besides the regional hospitals and village clinics (free), there are 2 very good hospitals in Belize City. Private. I used Medical Associates when I broke my foot and was very happy with my orthopedic surgeon and my care. The other one is Health Care Partners. If you are in Cayo, Loma Luz in Santa Elena is also very good.
We also have excellent dental and vision care.
You can message me if you like.
Brigitte

Very helpful. Flying in on the 18th, and I don't know if any of those services are provided in Orange Walk Town. I could use all three.lol

Cochise - Can't help with services in OW. But BC is only a little over an hour away by car. I think bus service is frequent as well. When we drive on the Northern, we always see many buses.

Thank you!  We will be in Placencia but hope to visit different areas while there!

Thank you Bridgitte,
We think Cayo will be our place on a permanent basis.  I would love to be close to the beach but the convenience of the inland would probably be best.  Where is your home in Belize?  Thanks for the medical info.  That is really our only concern.

We were on the Placencia Peninsula. Moved to Cayo about 4 years ago. Hopkins and Placencia are only 2 hours and a bit away from us so doing day trips are easily doable for a beach fix.

Hi Waljoa,
So we are a retired couple from Quebec and our pension comes from there.  We have been living in Alberta the last few years so we are curious as to what taxes we pay in Canada.  Provincial or Federal??  I hope it`s Federal!!  :)
How long have you lived in Belize?  We are very excited.

Have only been here since may, but not being a provincial resident I don't see anyway for them to collect anything other than federal.
We now live about 7 miles from Dangriga town and love it here.
We left central B.C on disability and the weather here sure helps reduce the daily pain.
In BC we would already be nearly shut ins for the winter.
We originally thought Cayo would be where we would be, then we found out different.
Come with an open mind explore and experience, then decide.

When will you be visiting??  I am building a house at the very north end of Placencia peninsula, near Riversdale.  Many Canadian and US ex pats on the peninsula and nearby.    Good doctor and dentist in the village or some plan a two day trip to Belize City for shopping and medical/dental care. 

When you get to Placencia area look for a side street called Caribbean Way at Mile Marker 10.5 on the highway,  north end of the peninsula.  Come in and visit with many ex-pats,  friendly neighborhood along the beach.  CPA from Canada owns the giant white house with red roof.  If he is in country when you visit he would be expert on tax issues.

Search google for Beachfront Suites to find a great place to stay.

Healthcare,  a new US backed hospital is in design phase for Placencia peninsula and may start construction soon will include a clinic for locals.

Thanks for the info!  We will be there April 4th-25th.  We are staying at the Dolce Appartments near the Tipsy Tuna!  We will be happy to visit with you guys and bombard you with a million questions (we will bring rum!! lol).  We have done alot of reading about retiring in Belize but it would be great to speak to people from Canada who actually live there.  Great news about the hospital!  I`m thinking we will love Placencia but have heard it is quite abit more expensive to live there.  Are there any  long term apartment rentals that you know of?  We plan to come back, sell our house her in Alberta and return by the fall.  Fingers crossed!

Thanks,

Monica

If you are going to be there in non tourist season,  contact Beachfront Suites,   should be on a google search or on VRBO.  They have great studio suites on the beach and will accept long term rentals in off season.

The neighbors on Caribbean Way, and all up and down the peninsula come and go a lot.  Back and forth to US and Canada but you can always find someone around.

Cost for most things are about the same all over Belize.  Food, hardware, fuel, building supplies, furniture,  we all shop at the same places.  Housing in Placencia area can be high but there are also many very affordable homes mixed in.  It just takes time to explore Belize and decide what is right for you.

glad to hear some talk about Placencia... I'll be coming down the last week of January 2016 for my second visit to Placencia. planning on retiring there hopefully in two years. if you're on Facebook look me up Pam Emmert Jefferson City Missouri. would love to chat about a rental property in the Placencia area.
hope to talk soon
Pam

Can't help you with the healthcare question.
I moved here 21/2 years ago. Most people would say not to do it the way I did. I am a single male, retired.
My girlfriend at the time had a son that ran a resort by San Ignacio. He came to visit his mother, so we had a chance to talk. His work visa was almost up, but if he had the chance he would come right back to Belize.
Ocean, beaches and laying out in the sun were at the bottom of my list. I wanted a little land to have a nice yard, garden and close to fishing. Sport fishing was not for me, I like to eat what I catch. Corozal seemed like a great spot. An added benefit was that the cost of living was less in Corozal.
My girlfriend and I came down for a weeks vacation. On the third day I signed a deal on a piece of property on a canal that hooked up to Corozal Bay. That was October. In January I came down and talked to the builder. There a an apartment close to the new home that I rented for my return to Belize. I met a great couple that were building a home next door. Once building details were all set, I went back to the states. My neighbors helped me immensely. They coordinated filling the lot, building a fence and just one thing after another while I was selling my home.
On March 13th I flew to my new home, Belize. I had sold my home, packed the stuff I wanted to take, loaded it on a big rent truck and took it to the shipper in Houston.
A lot of people sell almost everything before they move. I sold a lot of things that I wish I had brought. The rental truck was 26 foot long, and it was loaded. I brought over 90, 54 gallon tubs, 2 yard tubs for shovels etc that had longer handles, a woodworking shop, mower, tiller, tools and a bunch of screws and nails and on and on. My neighbors in the subdivision call and ask to borrow something they sold or need a nut or bolt for something, I usually have it
It cost me quite a bit in duty to bring that stuff but it was well worth it. If I need to trim a door or fill holes or build something, I have what I need.
A lot depends on what your plans are for your retirement and home. If you want to sit in your easy chair or on the beach, you won't need much. If you are like me that 10 minutes in a lounge on the beach is boring enough, you may want to be able to do things and you will need stuff!
I have friends that came down in January and went all over Belize. They liked the Corozal area to settle in. In June they rented a home for a year. By August they decided, this was the place, and bought land and were going to build a house.
My recommendation would be to look at the long term picture. Are you going to make a decision and stick with it or do you want to leave your options open.
I have stated a low cost classified site. Classified add listing for all of Belize. I will list the first 20 items for sale for free. Just email your ad to [email protected]  :)

Hi Skistrall,
Thanks for your input!  We will be there in April for 3 weeks in Placentia but plan to visit around.  I am curious however as to why you paid duty.  Our understanding was when you are a retiree in Belize you are tax exempt and you can import your belongings duty free within the year. 
Driving to Houston is a great idea for us, may I ask how much it cost to ship it? (without the duty costs)??
Why do people say not to do it like you did??  How did they move?
Is the cost of living less in Corozal than San Ignacio? And why do you think that is?  Are there mostly gated communities in Corozal?  Do you know how easy/hard it is to get a small mortgage?
Sorry for all the questions!!!  Just getting down to the nitty gritty of moving now!!
Thanks, Monica

I heard it's not safe to drive from Mexico to Belize. That the bandits would cut trees down across the road to get you to stop and rob you.....

Pam

If you come down on QRP the retiree program you don't pay duty. You are forever a guest in Belize. You can't become a resident or become a citizen. There are good and bad things about different programs to come to Belize. A lot depends on what your intentions are! I want to be a resident and then a citizen of Belize.
I paid $11,000US for shipping and duty. I am not sure how that broke down. The shipping company I used was Sterling Freight.
Most people say you should live here for a while before you decide to buy. I bought on my first trip here.
I do not know the cost of living in San Ignacio, but Corozal is probably one of the least expensive places to live in Belize. Palencia and San Pedro or Ambergris Caye are resort areas and cost more.
Gated communities are not prevalent in Corozal. I know there are some.
I did everything cash, so I don't know about loans.
No problem with the questions,
John

Hi there!  Been in Corozal for 18 months and love it!

- came down on QRP, didn't pay any duty on our 20 ft container.  Wish we had brought a 40 ft container!  Not so much because you can't find stuff here but it seems silly to have had it, given it away and then have to buy it again.

Shipping from Calgary, Alberta to Belize City was about 6500 Canadian.  Then we had to pay to get it up to Corozal and for the customs broker.

Re taxes.  If you are a non-resident (see revenue Canada definitions),  you pay federal tax plus an additional percentage of tax owed.  Max would be about 22%.  Depending in various factors, you can also claim the non refundable tax credits to reduce your tax liability.  Also look up section 217 to see if is applicable to your type of income.

J

Should also note that, in most provinces,  you have to live there 183 days of the year for healthcare.

Keep in mind,  if you are getting any additional amounts from cpp and oas above the basic, you may lose them when you become a non resident.

single male moving to belize[caye caucker island if possibleretired healthy,
on pension[im 81 years old][pension $1900.00 month

would only be renting [possible 2 of us?
don't do drugs,dont smoke,do do booze only socialy
no pets
will arrive with my posesions
[1 suitcase]
that's it
and try to set up rental
art
have nice day

Moderated by Diksha 5 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details through private messaging. Thank you.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct