Accessing internet and US apple store in China

We are currently in the process of moving to Shanghai from the USA. I an curious to know if I will be able to access the internet, Facebook, and the US apple store for our iPads to work. Does anyone have any information to help us out. Thanks so much in advance!

I am sorry that you can't acess facebook in Shanghai.Your ipad will work. There are some apple store in Shanghai.
Well, you also can aceess facebook, but you need do some technical setting in your browser.
Have good life in Shanghai!

Hi there,

you can access the following websites or all websites with the use of VPN services. For example Witopia.

It is a paid service.

However, the internet will feel a bit laggy. It has something to do with Shanghai network as shared by the Witopia customer service.

I am not very sure if you are able to use this VPN for your ipad. I am sure u can find out more at the Witopia.net website. They are ve helpful.

Hello,

You actually can use VPN via iPhone, so I'm 99% sure it is also available on the iPad. Go to settings - general - network. There you can add your VPN access. On your computer you can also use the website nobodycanstop.us to get free access to facebook, youtube and all the other blocked websites. It is not the best way, but it's better than nothing and you don't have to pay.

The appstore you access has nothing to do with the country you're in but with your account. I have both a Dutch and a US account and I can switch them whenever I want.

I hope this helps and good luck in China!

can any one tell me what is the setting or where do i have to do in ipad

witopia's well worth it on a macbook, word on the street is it does iphones too. presumably the us app store could work with witopia installed, but I'd goigle that/check with an expat who uses it, I've been too lazy to install it on my iphone.

as for physical apple stores, one word of caution: there are ~1,000s of very official looking "authorized" apples stores in Shanghai and only a handful according to the apple website--look up your store from the official site; if you see an apple sign on a building here, odds are they're not an authorized dealer...

oh, and the minor detail that your iphone on the US network will charge you massive international roaming charges if you use it out of country (I'd turn data roaming off abroad just to be safe if you plan to use it as a simple ipod/etc..)

You don't need VPN to access FB, Youtube, etc. while in China.
Free proxy switchers such as Ultrasurf work very well. I've been using it myself for months now and never had to complain about it.
You can access the Apple Store without restrictions, like you'd do in any other country.

There's only One Apple Store, and most of the authorized resellers are located Downtown (Ppl square, Nanjing Lu, and big shopping malls such as Plazza 66, Cloud nine, ...)

You can go to the Apple Store, you can get them to set your iPhone and iPad otpions so that everything works smoothly. Also, you can buy a 3G simcard before going to see them there. It would take you 30 mn at most (took me 20 mn!)

Yeah to get on Fb you got to brake the rules. Enjoy, JW