Relocating to Tahiti?

Hello All,

I recently relocated to Tahiti and I found that the info available was limited and out dated. Whilst still in South Africa I was trying to prepare a budget to see what would be needed in terms of earnings, to cover the expenses that I would have, but it was very challenging as the info was limited and there were not many people to contact to ask for assistance. So I have decided to create a database with some helpful info (areas to stay or not to stay, Carrefour prices, Take away prices, etc.). Basically all the info that you might require in terms of preparing or deciding on a relocation to Tahiti.

I will soon be posting some receipts for Mc Donalds, Carrefour, Petrol etc. as well as some details of areas and estate agents.

If you have any questions, you are welcome to send me a message.

See you soon!

Hi,

I'm visiting Tahiti next month can you give me a heads up like laws,and people there? I'd really appreciate your response.

Ia Orana,
I can try to help. I am an American who retired here. I don't know what laws you need to know about, but it is typical French law. If you want to know something specific, I can try to answer it. The people are mostly Tahitian, Chinese, and French and speak French in most situations.
Nana,
Steve Manarii Tane

Hello,

Not sure which laws you would like to know about. The people are friendly and speak mostly French, there are a few that speak English as well.

Hi

Thanks, oh I don't speak french hopefully i could understand them :) . I originally from the Philippines so i was hoping i could meet some Asians there. Is there any Filipino community there? where are they located?

I spent 90 days in Tahiti and Raiatea last year and found that English is fairly widely spoken. Most is broken English, but understandable.

Hi Roeanne,
I am not aware of any filipinos here. Before I moved here, my secretary in my company was a filipina from Quezon City. There are many Chinese people here and French. As mentioned earlier, French is widely spoken along with Tahitian. English is also spoken a little. No Tagalog, sorry!!! I hope you have a great trip.
Steve (Manarii Tane),  Papeari, Tahiti

Hi  Roeann,

I just signed up today at expat.com and viola! Found you here. Currently in Auckland and trying to make the most of my time here while waiting for my schedule. Hope i'll be around when you visit Tahiti.

Joyce

Bonjour Steve, there is a community of Filipinos in Tahiti. An association named "Filipino Association in Tahiti, French Polynesia." Will be happy if you can like our facebook page. Merci!

Hello Joyce,

Yes hope to meet you there... We have a schedule again in Tahiti and hopefully we would be able to get there... our schedule is on the 27th of February.  We will work on our visas this December.
How are you?  Have a safe travel... God bless

Roeann Mack

Hi Roeann,

Keep mo posted, will be very happy to see you there! And good luck to your visa, it will be tough but sure you can have it.

Joyce

Thanks... I'll let you know  :)

hi, can someone please give advice. I live in New Zealand where i was born. My birth fathers mother came from Tahiti. I would love to know the requirements to either move there to live or to move there to work. How strict are the requirements please? Any advice would be appreciated. I am 55 this year so a little late starter about moving away :-) I only found out about my birth father and very interested in Tahiti. Thanks in advance for your time

Ia Orana,
I retired to the island of Tahiti many years ago from USA. To move here, you will need to show that you have sufficient funds to survive here without being a burden on the government. It is not too likely that you would get a job here because normal jobs are first given to the locals, unless you have some remarkable skill that is needed here. I recommend that you rent a place for 2-3 months in the area that you like. Then you can see if you like the area. I find the Tahitians very wonderful and they accepted me with open arms. I live in Papeari near the Gauguin Museum. You can reply here or to my email address ***
Nana,
Manarii (Steve)

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I am looking on info to relocate y family to French Polynesia. If you buy property are you then allowed to live there full time?

Ia orana,
The short answer is no. You must demonstrate that you can support yourself financially without government assistance.  Just buying the property does not suffice.
I am retired here in Papeari on the island of Tahiti from Florida USA after I sold my business.
I hope this answers your question.
Nana,
Manarii Tane (Steve)