Camping in Hungary

Hey guys, I'm new here and have one question to ask you. I wanted to travel to Hungary/Budapest in June 2016, due to my limited budget and will of exploring the world I decided to camp, literally camp in a tent. Do You know how local people react to foreigners who 'camp' there? Is there any laws I should be aware of? What should i be afraid of?.

Thank You for all responses :)

Panda321 wrote:

Hey guys, I'm new here and have one question to ask you. I wanted to travel to Hungary/Budapest in June 2016, due to my limited budget and will of exploring the world I decided to camp, literally camp in a tent. Do You know how local people react to foreigners who 'camp' there? Is there any laws I should be aware of? What should i be afraid of?.

Thank You for all responses :)

Just camping by the side of the road or in a field would be highly unusual, possibly dangerous or even illegal. As you will travel in the summer, it'll be pretty warm so why not just stay at a camp ground?

They are all over the place including close to public transport (even in Budapest).  That way you'll get some measure of security, neighbours, showers and access to campground shops, on site snack bars etc etc.  It's not so expensive, probably less than 1000 HUF a night (that's about 3 EUR for a pitch).

Here's a couple of camping grounds I know of (all web sites in English):

Camping next to Chairlift (Budapest - very public transport accessible)

Szantod (Balaton - nice swimming in lake, easy to reach on train, nice scenery)

I would strongly recommend you book a spot considerably far in advance.  During the music festival seasons these places get really full up quickly.  I mean Sziget and Balaton Sound festivals etc.  I would also recommend mosquito protection.  They can be really a nuisance at Balaton and in damp corners of Budapest. They do spray for mosquitos from aircraft intermittently but it can be horribly hot in a tent and if you leave the flap open, make sure you have a built in mosquito net and plenty of anti-bite spray available.

Why not  join couchsurfers.com ? They will sort You out, If You want to camp, you can camp on My land, or even use my spare room, i wont charge You.

Mercurien wrote:

i wont charge You.

But the local government probably does charge you. That is, you as the property owner are still suppose to pay any overnight guest fees levied by the local government for anyone who stays in your house or camps on your property.

klsallee wrote:

..... the property owner are still suppose to pay any overnight guest fees levied by the local government for anyone who stays in your house or camps on your property.

Yes, that's true.  The local governments in holiday areas do do spot checks on people.  They usually look for foreign registered cars in the driveways as an indicator of renting out of properties for holiday purposes.