Discrimination in Abu Dhabi?

Hello all,

I'm an American moving to Abu Dhabi in a couple of weeks.  I'm a professional and will be working a white-collar job.  While I was born in the US and only speak English, my parents are both from the Philippines.  I've read a lot about some discrimination and racism towards certain races in the UAE.  Mostly "brown" people such as Filipinos, Pakistanis, and Indians. 

Stories I've read and heard is that "brown" people typically get assumed for service workers (maids, waiters, etc.), get lower salary, required to move at the end of waiting lines, and even denied entry into some clubs/restaurants.

Should I expect this sort of treatment because of my skin color?

Thank you in advance.

If your passport says you are American then you should be getting a better pay rate but I do believe that if it says Filipino then you will be paid less.

My husband is also Filipino and he does he has been mistaken for shop workers, valet driver etc. he gets annoyed but we laugh about it. We haven't been denied anywhere, I think it's how you present yourself. If you dress for the right places then you should be fine.

I agree with Tranppp, your nationality plays a major role. I mean in terms of your job and your pay.

Thank you both for your response.

I have an American passport and it lists my nationality as "United State of America" so I hope I will be okay in terms of salary equity.

Thanks again!

We are already preparing a welcome party here in Abu Dhabi yaay!  :cheers::up:

A lot of instances relate to people presenting themselves at the right place with the right manners and the dress sense and etiquette. Paywise , yes there is a surprising gap for the western nationalities which is absurd but everyone is just living with it. Yes you need to respect your roots, but whenever wherever, you get asked where are you from, answer back you are from the states and paywise, it wont be any issue.

But since the topic is touched, and for the benefit of others who actually read these threads for information let me touch on an underlying sensitive side of discrimination; Once you get settled here, try not to limit yourself to a certain "gang" of your same nationality..its real nice to get to know other nationalities. Be it an outing, your lunch break, try to engage and be open to other people. For an example, if you spit inside an elevator or throw trash wherever you want to, the other people who notice tend to stereotype the whole nation for such a behavior (this is human behaviour..nothing to with UAE or Abu Dhabi or Uranus!). There are people who go to parties and pack so much food in mini  shopping bags which is downright ill-mannered- hence the others go like "good lord look at those ABC people..as if they havent seen food". And also there are instances where people "reserve" seats for XYZ and wont allow any other colleague to sit in the sharing transportation (working in the same place !) ..the list is endless..hope you got the point here. The only thing anyone needs to be mindful is, that this is a multicultural place, and whenever you step outside, to carry yourself gracefully, respect others and also understand the fact that you also represent your nationality and your people :)

Best,
Raju

Raju,

What a great response.  It all comes down to respect, tolerance, and openmindedness applies to anywhere you might live in the world, not just Abu Dhabi.

Thanks!
-D

Darman82 and Raju,
Interesting commentary. If you pay attention, the mannerisms of someone who is ethnically from one place but spent much of his/ her life in another environment, would clearly reflect the latter source.
In this case, a Pinoy from USA would more likely behave closer to the average American than a Pinoy. Hence you would notice the change in response from people of other origins that you interact with. You really do not have to make any extra effort about how you carry yourself - it is noticeable and would come naturally !

I think it will be fine. I believe much depends on how do you offer yourself to people. I know people from Pakistan and India who are well-reputed and make a fortune here. On the other hand, i know people from EU working on waiter jobs and hostess. So it all depends on you.

I disagree from what you propose, minor things can't be generalized, always UAE is welcoming for people no where u will find such variates, so please come here in UAE and wish pleasant stay here :)

Discrimination is in terms of employment options, it is too obvious when you read some of the adverts in the papers.  Salary for the same job can be of many grades depending your nationality.  Other than that there is rarely a case of restaurants denying entry etc, because socially you do not see much of it.   'Brown' people are there in many skilled jobs.  Lots of Engineers, Finance Managers etc are from Asian countries, so it is not bad that way.  But a different national for the same positions would get a better deal.  They have some weird theories for this.

Maybe one reason for what many would term 'discrimination' in remuneration has to do with the living conditions of expatriates.
Someone from Nepal would have a different base in comparison to someone from Canada. Outgoings in the former country are considerably different from that of the latter country. Hence the package is to attract someone from their source country with a package that would appeal to them and make them leave their home base.
Does this help with the perspective? Would love to ear back.

Hi
I am living in Canada, for years I am interested to move to Dubai or Abu Dhabi. Unfortunately I couldn't find job.

Now i decided to open my own business in Abu Dhabi or Dubai, such as very small business.

I am coming to Dubai in January for visiting. any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Kuando

kuando wrote:

Hi
I am living in Canada, for years I am interested to move to Dubai or Abu Dhabi. Unfortunately I couldn't find job.

Now i decided to open my own business in Abu Dhabi or Dubai, such as very small business.

I am coming to Dubai in January for visiting. any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Kuando

Welcome to Abu Dhabi :) But your quote is off the topic, so I suggest you to create a new thread so that you can expect more feed backs from the members of EB. :)