Spouce visa

Hi all,

I will be moving to Leuven for my PhD in KU Leuven and would like to bring my wife to Belgium together with me. Reading through the forum, I understand that it's faster to get spouse visa when applying together with me. Else the processing time could be in days or sometimes in months.

However, looking at the documents required for my wife, it looks like I need to provide the following documents which can be obtained after I reach Belgium:

1.    A photocopy of your Belgian identity card or residence permit (front and back) and the identity page of your national passport
2.    Copy of your housing contract, legalised by Regie der Gebouwen office

Could anyone please let me know if they have submitted equivalent documents for their family during the visa process?

Regards,
Sundar

Sundararavelpandian wrote:

Hi all,

I will be moving to Leuven for my PhD in KU Leuven and would like to bring my wife to Belgium together with me. Reading through the forum, I understand that it's faster to get spouse visa when applying together with me. Else the processing time could be in days or sometimes in months.

However, looking at the documents required for my wife, it looks like I need to provide the following documents which can be obtained after I reach Belgium:

1.    A photocopy of your Belgian identity card or residence permit (front and back) and the identity page of your national passport
2.    Copy of your housing contract, legalised by Regie der Gebouwen office

Could anyone please let me know if they have submitted equivalent documents for their family during the visa process?

Regards,
Sundar

Hi,

This question is already discussed in this thread:  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=434496

to quote from that thread..

Residence Permit is a required document only when you apply for your spouse visa after you reach Belgium.

When you apply together from India, you apply based on the work permit OR university assignment or whatever applicable and your spouse applies stating that she is accompanying you... In this model, the consulate wants to see below things mainly
1 - She is your wife: You provide marriage certificate, birth certificate of your wife, etc etc  (with proper attestations as mandated by the VFS).
2 - You have/will have a suitable accommodation in Belgium for you both: For that, you may need a rental contract which show your and your wife's name as the tenants. OR an undertaking from your university or employer that they will provide or assist you in finding a suitable accommodation.
3 - She will be covered in a medical insurance in Belgium (your employer must provide you a policy or a letter stating the coverage OR you will subscribe her to a medical insurance)
4 - You can support her: Your employment contract, work permit, agreement with university, etc
5 - Whatever they may ask additional to these :)

Regards
Aneesh