Whats a popular 4WD (4x4) in Addis???

Hi all,

Need some feedback on whats the most popular make and model of 4WD (4x4) in Addis. ie Jeep, Toyota, Nissan etc.

All replies appreciated.

Thanks
ubdai

Hey Ubdai

As far as I am concerned Land Cruiser GX is the most popular.they run faster and do have a nice technology.

regards,
paul

If youre asking about the best - I would not know.  You do see an awful lot of Toyota's especially the RAV4 and Cruisers but I get the message that Toyota rules over here.  Apparently its a parts thing...

Yes toyota landcruiser is the famous in ethiopia and if u want to rent, i am happy to provide u with fair price. so contact me
sol

CKM wrote:

If youre asking about the best - I would not know.  You do see an awful lot of Toyota's especially the RAV4 and Cruisers but I get the message that Toyota rules over here.  Apparently its a parts thing...

Would love to ship over a used Landcruiser from Japan, but LHD are twice the price of RHD. Whats the g'ments rules on RHD vehicles on Ethiopian roads?

Looking at Jeeps at present nice and cheap from Japan and I could bring spares with me from the UK (thats if no spares in Addis)

ubdai

I just shipped a '97 RAV4 from Japan and it was no more costly than the RHD's.  Although I AM pretty miffed that it's a conversion and I specifically indicated that I did NOT want that.  That said, having waited 5 months, car's here, some things are a bit "upside down" due to the conversion...but everything works...so far...  From the "research" I did, Toyota has no parts problem, and you can get by with most popular Japanese cars ito parts.  Anything else seems to be a nightmare (have heard stories of people waiting for months to have some vital part clear Djibouti port)...also there seems to be some issue with theft of parts so you want to go with whats available.  The Defence Force seem to use Landrover Defender so thats another option for you (if the army has parts, probably you'll get them as well)
I would NOT recommend RHD under any circumstances... the traffick is crazy over here and you don't want to sit on the  wrong side to boot!  Plus I think IF you're in a accident it will automatically be the fault of the RHD.  Also doubt you'll get insurance for a RHD.
Buying local is also not too pleasant since it seems to me that cars' value increases over here!  Its not funny for a 10year old car to be for sale at $20,000plus!  (I paid way less for my RAV!)
Private me if you want the name of the Japanese site where I bought...

Prado's and LandCruiser's. Otherwise, for a cheaper option, Suzuki Grand Vitara's.

Dear Ubadi and ALL,
I have TOYOTA RAV 4 1800 CC, 1997 (AMERICAN SPECIFICATIONS)
•    CASSETTE PLAYER, JACK, AND SPARE TIRE
•    FABRIC INTERIOR
•    MANUAL TRANSMISSION
•    POWER DOOR
•    FACTORY A/C
•    ALLOY WHEELS
•    FACTORY TAPE RECORDER AND  AM, FM RADIO
•    POWER WINDOWS
•    4-CYLINDER ENGINE

THE VEHICLE WAS IMPORTED IN 2007
ASKING PRICE: 16,500 US DOLLARS

IF INTERESTED PLEASE CALL: 0912745310                           

Thank you.

Gamal

Hi Gamal,

You should post your advert under Addis Ababa classifieds> buy and sell section.

Thank you.
Christine

Hi,
so Land Cuisers are the way to go?
What about Jeeps? Are there any workshops for them?
Is it ok to bring a petrol car (I heard the fuel is only at 80 octane???) or is that a very rare thing?

HERE IS JEEP ALSO AND GARAGE FOR THEM