Filipina and Schengen citizen getting married - Can i move with him?

I am Filipino and residing and currently working in the Philippines now. I have a Schengen citizen fiance (he is originally Portuguese) and we really wanted to be together. The initial plan is he will be back here in the Philippines on February 2016 and then, we will get married here.

In that case, can I go back with him in Norway? He originally lived in Lisbon with his family, but for 10 years, he has been working in London. Just this October, he moved again in Norway to work there.

I really need help regarding this matter. What best advice can you give us for us to be together?

I will highly appreciate everything. Thank you and stay blessed! :)

hi ponpon

to get you started, please visit these sites:
- UDI Website
- Norwegian Embassy in the Philippines website

UDI is Norway's immigration bureau... anything there is to know about visa applications are there... but you might also need to check the embassy website for some country specific information..

moving forward, since your reference person (your fiancé) is Portuguese, then you cannot go to Norway thru a family reunification permit.. instead, as a fiancée/wife of an EU/EEA national,  you can apply for a residence card of family members of EU/EEA national.. as far as i know, this is faster to acquire than a family reunification permit and its easier to get it if done in Norway.. but as a filipina,  u need a visa for entry to Norway.. and since the Norwegian embassy doesnt accept entry visa (Schengen visa type D) applications anymore, i am not sure how ur application will be.. :( i think you can apply for a short term visa (tourist/visitors visa or Schengen visa type C) so u can enter norway and just register at the police here as an EU/EEA family member...

hope this helps :)

Hi pheebz! :) Thank you so much for your help. I am actually reading and studying it now! Sure thing, a big help. :)

I owe this to you, thanks kabayan! :)

Anyway, where in Norway are you residing? My fiance is in Stavanger. I am hoping there are lots of Filipinos there, too.

i am from the vestfold area.... im sure there are lots of Filipinos in Stavanger, u can find them thru some Filipino community... :)

Hi Ponpon,

If your initial plan is to get married in the Phils next year, you can apply for Spouse of EU/EEA National and it takes 6 mos. process according to the website and sometimes it's a case to case basis. Or you can also apply for a Residence card for Family Members of EU/EEA Nationals (6mos. process also) since you are already your bf's fiance.

What i did when i applied is the 2nd one because I was still then a fiance of now my husband who is a Dutch. My application was granted ...Embassy issued Type C visa so I can enter Norway ....You will be given 6 months residency and within that period you should get married...After we got married here in Norway I applied for Spouse of EU/EEA Nationals and submitted all the docs required at the Politiet.

Just sharing my experience...

Goodluck to your application...

thank you pheebz! :) you're really a big help. :)

hi tam! :) I've talked to my fiance regarding the options. We might probably do the second option, too. Thank you so much, Tam! :)

Are you from the Phils, too? :)

hi tam.

thanks for sharing that.. i always wondered why u got type C and not type D when u got approved some time ago...  :/ now it makes sense :) so i guess type C is given for those who are family members of EU/EEA citizens, and not a type D (which is indicative of an approved residence permit for work or family immigration). always something new i learn from this site, thanks  :thanks:

may i ask, how long did it take for u to get ur residence card after applying in Norway? i read it is faster than family reunification permit at the UDI site:
between a family immigration permit and a residence card for family members of EU/EEA nationals

You are welcome ponpon...Yep Im from the Phils too...

hello peebz! It took 5 days after I received my residence card here. Yes Family reunification is sometimes far more longer to process than EEA cases...Family Reunif i think is from 2weeks to 13 months while EEA cases sometimes from 5 days to 6 months waiting....again it's case to case basis.

And let me just add also that for EEA cases (ex. fiance permit) you are allowed to work even  if you only have a temporary residence card (valid for 6 months).

Where are you here in Norway Peebz? Perhaps we can hang out around hehe....

hi tam.

sorry, i meant to ask "how long you waited for ur residence permit to be approved?", did u wait for 6 months?. i forgot as it was a while when u posted ur approval... and also,  will u have to apply for another card after marriage? i assume the residence card for EEA fiancée is valid for 6 months only? or am i wrong?

btw, i am from vestfold area ;)

Hi Peebz,

It took 8 months before my resident card was approved. The processing should be 6 mos...I was waiting for the decision on the 6th month but no response from UDI, then on the 7th month i received an email from UDI that i need to submit a new travel insurance because the travel insurance that i submtted got expired (180 days only) therefore i submitted immediately. Then after a month again, still no response from UDI about the status of my case, so I emailed   them about the status of my app, after 3 days here comes he decision that i was granted.

Yes EEA cases (fiance) should apply for a new card after marriage because the validity of our cards is 6 mos. only that is why they need to get married within 6 months or else after that period there is no more reason to stay here. After getting married apply for Spouse of EEA Nationals immediately even if your card is yet to expire. the new residence card is valid for 5 years.

To our friends out there who have ongoing app take note....dont hesitate to call UDI about the status of your case if it is already beyond the processing time frame.