New Mature Student in Malta, wish to bring my car from the UK.....

....and my head is literally spinning. I have about 10 tabs open and have spent the last week making sense of things. Some say drive it from UK to Malta, some say ship it. Some say bring my car over through RoRo transportation but I will have to pay thousands in registration fees. Some say I won't have to pay anything as I have owned the car for over 2 years. Reading posts here, some info is outdated, some is helpful but can't be verified. I have tried calling the Transportation department here in Malta but no-one picks up......I am losing hair now!

After all that rambing, here is the back drop. I have literally just arrived in Malta. I will not consider buying a car here due to trust issues and life quality the cars would have had (in my budget range....I drive a '08 car). I also have a young family with me, 4 year old, and 1 year old baby.

Here is where it gets interesting. I am a full-time student here (British citizen) and will be in Malta for 4 years. How does this affect the importing of my car?

Can someone tell me exactly what I need to do? I have no idea of what to pay, what not to pay, who to contact. The only thing I can seemingly arrange is the actual transport here......but then some locals who I bumped into here...say drive it over!

Please please help as I really need to get this sorted urgently!

JasonHarper wrote:

....and my head is literally spinning. I have about 10 tabs open and have spent the last week making sense of things. Some say drive it from UK to Malta, some say ship it. Some say bring my car over through RoRo transportation but I will have to pay thousands in registration fees. Some say I won't have to pay anything as I have owned the car for over 2 years. Reading posts here, some info is outdated, some is helpful but can't be verified. I have tried calling the Transportation department here in Malta but no-one picks up......I am losing hair now!

After all that rambing, here is the back drop. I have literally just arrived in Malta. I will not consider buying a car here due to trust issues and life quality the cars would have had (in my budget range....I drive a '08 car). I also have a young family with me, 4 year old, and 1 year old baby.

Here is where it gets interesting. I am a full-time student here (British citizen) and will be in Malta for 4 years. How does this affect the importing of my car?

Can someone tell me exactly what I need to do? I have no idea of what to pay, what not to pay, who to contact. The only thing I can seemingly arrange is the actual transport here......but then some locals who I bumped into here...say drive it over!

Please please help as I really need to get this sorted urgently!

I found this quote for shipping in the forums 'Cars and Transportation' category :-

"Our total expenses are as follows:

Freight:                         Eur 900.00
Insurance:                 Eur 25.91 (based on Eur 6025 value - freight + value of car + 10%)
Car body inspection:         Eur 35.00
VAT:                         Eur 168.30
Total:                        Eur 1129.21 "

This was from July this year, I am sure if you look through the category you will find others. You can then decide whether it would be cheaper to drive it down yourself, allowing for fuel,tolls and ferries plus of course your time, you may also be able to save on airfares.

As for registration fees, there would not be any unless you decided to sell it here as you have owned it for more than 2 years. You would need to be able to prove ownership in the UK and also the date of arrival in Malta.
Hope this helps,

Ray

There will not be much difference in price between  driving down or shipping, it will depend on your circumstances.
If you can spare the time, time of year (more road delays probable in winter) or if you want to just sit and wait for it to arrive.

This is the link that explains what is required to claim exemption from import duty ....

http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … exemptions

Terry