Time to renew my work permit in Bali (KITAS)

Dear Expat.com Bali,

My work permit (KITAS) will expire in December and I'm planning to renew it.
I'm getting better in Bahasa Indonesia and it would be a privilege for me to stay an extra year on the island of Gods.

I'm opening this thread because I would like to have the opinions of experts in Bali and I know there's a lot on Expat.com. I have shop with different visa agents and the best price I found is this : Kitas 7,000,000 IDR + DPKK $ 1,200 USD. Is anyone know an agent who offers a better price for the work permit (KITAS) in Bali?
I understood the DPKK $ 1,200 USD is a fix price from the immigration.

Then if I decide to do it myself at the immigration (without an agent) I would like to know if someone already did it and how much money can I save ? My work keeps me very busy so I'm afraid that taking care myself of my work permit will take me a lot of my time.

Thank you so much for your time.

Regards,
Xavier

Just shop around, for me it's very cheap and you should not bother.

If someone can manage to extend your work permit/limited stay permit at such low price, don't wait and ask others for quote even lower.

Nowadays be happy if you get your work and stay permit extended at all.

Anyway, if you talk about work permit, your employer should be responsible....

It sounds like you have your own PT or PMA company here?  If not, your employer should be handling your KITAS and IMTA renewals for you.

The rates you quote are par for the course. 

As for trying to do this without an agent, are you prepared to deal directly with the Manpower Department office in Jakarta? 

Given all the hassles, problems and long delays with KITAS and IMTA renewals in recent months, I think it would be very unwise (“penny wise, pound foolish”) to try this on your own.

It would be best to let someone sort it out for you. You will need to hand your passport stamp over to Immigration nearer the visas expiry date so they can cancel your visa. You then need to leave Indonesia and assuming all things with visas are wonderful, you will have had you telex for your new visa already and so you can go to Singapore and get your new visa, or come back as tourist. Thats why you need an agent.

The amount mentioned is so cheap, go for it!!

Many agents will quote that or similar and most applicant go for it.

After how many months the applicants start complaining because nothing is finished?

Again, if we talk about work permit and stay permit, no individual takes care about it, it's the company !!

xavier667 wrote:

Dear Expat.com Bali,

My work permit (KITAS) will expire in December and I'm planning to renew it.
I'm getting better in Bahasa Indonesia and it would be a privilege for me to stay an extra year on the island of Gods.

I'm opening this thread because I would like to have the opinions of experts in Bali and I know there's a lot on Expat.com. I have shop with different visa agents and the best price I found is this : Kitas 7,000,000 IDR + DPKK $ 1,200 USD. Is anyone know an agent who offers a better price for the work permit (KITAS) in Bali?
I understood the DPKK $ 1,200 USD is a fix price from the immigration.

Then if I decide to do it myself at the immigration (without an agent) I would like to know if someone already did it and how much money can I save ? My work keeps me very busy so I'm afraid that taking care myself of my work permit will take me a lot of my time.

Thank you so much for your time.

Regards,

Xavier

Again, take the deal and do extension for just 7.000.000 that's the best I ever heard using a agent.

If the agent succeed and get your papers all complete within short time....please share with the forum!!

It will not happening.....trust me

Xavier, you don't mention when in December your KITAS and IMTA expire, but even if it's near the end of that month, you should get busy now (using an agent). 

I can assure you that IMTA renewals coming out of Bali are being given particular scrutiny by the Manpower Department in Jakarta.  The belief in that department (and they are probably right) is that there are far too many work permits issued to foreigners in Bali where adequate local labor could perform the duties. 

Without any question, and any expat who has been around on Bali for a long time will say the same...it's never been harder to get a work permit for a job in Bali than it is right now...and this difficulty is even being experienced by foreign investors looking to work at their companies.

Thank you very much Ubudian, Happyhour, Lukereg for all the information I truly appreciate your time!

Xavier

Happy to help out Xavier, but just so you know…I know two long time expats (10+ years) who continued working after their IMTA had expired and the renewal process started (but not completed), who have run afoul of immigration and the police.

Personally I think this sort of maneuver is utter BS, but “the letter of the law” is on “their side” so, aside from appealing to common sense, fairness, or just outright “begging for mercy” it's incumbent on you to get that renewal going ASAP.

Good luck!

Thank you Ubudian,

Your previous message when you wrote : "...you should get busy now (using an agent). " made me called this morning agents for starting the process right now.

I appreciate your advice.

P.S. Can I ask you what kind of Visa you have or are you an Indonesian citizen ?

Thank you

All of this visa baloney...and a lot of it is baloney, (although I support the need to control immigration, and to protect jobs for the locals), is thankfully now well behind me, as I enjoy citizenship.  But that topic is a whole other can of worms my friend!   :o

What is most frustrating here is the utter lack of consistency year after year.  It seems every time a new President is elected, or some long time and otherwise trusted expat gets found out to be a drug dealer or pedophile, all hell breaks loose and the usual result is an over reaction, done precipitously and without a lot of common sense.

On the other hand, and I say this after many long years of dealing with all sorts of government folks, I have found that the vast majority of these “civil servants” are very reasonable, level headed, very capable of human compassion, and most often just as frustrated with all the changes as we are.