Dependent Visa for girlfriend

Hello all,
I work in Malaysia and have a work visa arranged by my company. I'm from England. My girlfriend is from the Philippines. She has lived in Malaysia for over 5 years but can no longer obtain a visa here. If I marry her, will I be able to apply for a dependent visa for her? If I can do that, would I have to go through my work to obtain it or could we (me and her) apply for it ourselves? Thanks if you can help.

Hi that depends on why she can't get a visa!!!

Nemodot wrote:

Hi that depends on why she can't get a visa!!!

Nemodot is absolutely right! Furthermore, in most countries even marriage to a citizen of that country does not necessarily impart any right to permanency or a visa unless the individual meets all of the usual requirements for a visa themselves. For example, in the USA marriage to a US citizen holds no guarantee whatsoever that the spouse would qualify for or even be granted a visa. Many other nations are exactly the same in regard to immigration rules.

This would logically be even much more restrictive for the spouse of someone who is only in the country on some temporary visa.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks for the replies. She had a dependent visa before when she was married previously to a Malaysian citizen and but is now divorced. It was very easy for her to get a dependent visa when she was married. I have two English friends who are married - she works in Malaysia and he is here on a dependent visa. So it seems easier enough in that respect as long as one of you has a job the Malaysian government value which I do. Of course the difference being that both of my friends are English whereas she is Filipino. She has been able to get a temporary working visa for 6 months but has to renew it all the time and has been warned by her work it could be taken away at any time due to Malaysian politics. Especially in the current political atmosphere here. We would like to secure her a dependent visa which we hope she could keep for as long as I work in Malaysia as a teacher.