Teaching English ? How hard is it to find a job...and the pay ?

Hi ! Any English teachers out there that can shed some light on how hard it is to find a job in Ecuador, what typical pay is like, anything you would recommend doing to prepare before moving to Ecuador ? We still have several years before we retire and we realize things will change between now and then. We are just trying to prepare....get TEFL certified....get some experience....etc, before moving there. We go back and forth between moving to Ecuador or Thailand... We'd be very interested in hearing your experiences, thoughts, suggestions. Thanks in advance !

Edgenaples wrote:

Any English teachers out there that can shed some light on how hard it is to find a job in Ecuador, what typical pay is like....

Welcome to the Ecuador forum, Edge.

TEFL-job finding and pay vary, depending on prior teaching experience and job-finding skills, among other things.

Here are two existing forum threads that will get you started....

'English Teaching Positions'
    https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=176910

'Five Thousand Teaching Jobs'
    https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=283197

For other threads, type the words teaching English into the searchbox atop almost any page on the forum and then click on the search icon.

cccmedia in Quito

Edgenaples wrote:

We go back and forth between moving to Ecuador or Thailand... We'd be very interested in hearing your experiences, thoughts, suggestions.

Those were the two countries I considered too .. before moving to Quito in 2013.

Compared to Ecuador, Thailand presents three problems ...

1.  Too damned hot!  Bangkok is hot and steamy year-round.  Even in the relatively less-hot North, meaning Chiang Mai, it's broiling hot and humid except for November through January.

2.  Harder to get a residency visa in the Kingdom.

3.  Much more difficult trip going back to see friends and relatives in Winston-Salem, N.C.

I'll grant you this, though... If I was basing my decision on local food alone, Thailand wins hands down.

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks so much for your reply. And from what research we've done, those three things are the ones that would bother us too...especially the heat and humidity. I lived in Florida for 40 years, so I have had my fill of that.