Subsidies being lifted :(

Now this is a crucial matter for us all expats .

How has this affected you all , lifting of meat subsidy , and moving on water and electricity ?

Oh crap! 😭😭😭

tsk tsk  :(

:( it is very difficult for low salary workers company should think about-increase the salary accordingly

What does that mean? Are you saying the cost of water and electric will increase and meat prices will reduce?

OL1 wrote:

What does that mean? Are you saying the cost of water and electric will increase and meat prices will reduce?

everything will go up my dear friend, they are even thinking of increasing the prices of petrol too

I'll admit I don't know the full story, and I really need to get online and read up on it more.  However, I can say this has started a few people close to me discussing how long they plan to stay in Bahrain.  They can make more in Saudi, Qatar, etc already, but this is taking more and more.  Whether that is a knee-jerk reaction or not, I can't say until I read about it more thoroughly.

I can't imagine how it will affect those who are already scraping to save some money.

gunner757 wrote:

Now this is a crucial matter for us all expats .

How has this affected you all , lifting of meat subsidy , and moving on water and electricity ?

Bahrain to end meat subsidies on Sept 1 Now second will be water and electricity....
If gov is doing like this then companies should gave increments in Salaries....
And one thing i tell you which may be you don't know....
Look the Bahrain gov removed subsidy from meat only for Expats.
Because the gov is started giving 15 BHD every three month to the Bahrain National who will register with them using there mobile application. And Bahrain gov will transfer that amount on there provided IBAN ...

It's too bad for Expats  :(

Is the increase in prices of food, petrol, electricity, water etc going to be a noticeable difference for the majority?? I have tried to read up on this but there does not seem to be much clarity on the issue as to how it will affected everyone. Is the 5 BD a month given to Bahraini's the amount extra the government expect the prices to increase by? Or will the increase be significant and this is just an attempt to keep them happy?

OL1 wrote:

Is the increase in prices of food, petrol, electricity, water etc going to be a noticeable difference for the majority?? I have tried to read up on this but there does not seem to be much clarity on the issue as to how it will affected everyone. Is the 5 BD a month given to Bahraini's the amount extra the government expect the prices to increase by? Or will the increase be significant and this is just an attempt to keep them happy?

That 5 BD is varying amount w.r.t age.
and Its just a way of making Bahraini Nationals Happy. I believe even if gov removes subsidies from other things that amount will be increased

I think it's going to affect companies more than individuals. As most of us rent from Bahrainis the water and electricity won't affect us. But those that donot have these utilities included in their bills will feel it.

Any news on whether foreigners driving is going to be affected?

no worries for us veggies! :D

suburbansam wrote:

no worries for us veggies! :D

well you say that but, correct me if im wrong, if they are getting rid of the food subsidies surely all food prices will increase.... Including the rabbit food  ;)

well I may be wrong but the talk in the news has been of meat subsidies specifically.

Ok then I'm sure I read somewhere that it was food in general but you might be right. Depends if my source was reliable I guess.

OL1 wrote:

Ok then I'm sure I read somewhere that it was food in general but you might be right. Depends if my source was reliable I guess.

I second that.

Read below.

http://www.thenational.ae/business/econ … for-expats

yep, as I thought: meat.

Wonder if Saudi will follow suit and cut it's subsidies on fuel. That's where I currently fill up.

It's sad to hear expats are the ones who'll suffer,  butchers are not opening their shops and MOIC Bahrain is threatening to cancel theirs CR's.

I don't think Saudi Arabia will follow something like this,  maybe not now but in a few years.

Look at UAE,  they removed subsidies from Petrol and just increased the price by a small percentage. But no extra benefits to the citizens,  even the citizens have to pay the new prices.

I heard price so meat jumped 4 times  :o

Well if this continues,  Bahrain will end up with no investment,  less tourism which will worsen the economy  :sleep

With regard to meat subsidy, it does not impact me, since I don't eat meat. But yes, water and electricity will definitely have an effect.

I have not really seen a massive jump in meat prices while I have been here, definitely not 4x as much that's for sure. I think if the oil prices stay low then the other gulf states will have no choice but to cut down on spending. Its understandable that they remove the subsidies but I don't understand why expats are being targeted to pay more just because we are not Bahraini citizens. Seems a tad unfair but hey ho. :)