Which cities should I visit next month?

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Ecuador in late December. I have researched the different cities I want to see and have come up with Quito, Santo Domingo, Manta and Portoviejo.

Can you please advise me if these are good choices and how far of a drive it would be from Santo Domingo to Manta and Portoviejo?

We were planning on renting a car and driving to each city spending about 4 days in each one - is this recommended?

We are planning this trip with the intention of finding the city that we would like to move to. We are excited about the low cost of living in Ecuador, we are just wondering if we will be able to make a living?

We would like to be able to open a business there - any ideas as to what types of businesses would do well?

Looking forward to some feedback so we can ensure our trip is as productive as possible in helping us decide the city to live in and give us some ideas on how to make a living there too!

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Hey, well there is not much in Portoviejo except humidity...I dont recommend it...

instead, try driving down the coast from Manta to Montanita and Salinas...it is a great trip!

hope that helps,
Domenick
(moderated)

Thanks Domenick, I really appreciate your feedback.  It's really hard to figure it all out when you are just looking at a map.

Melonie

Although Domenick makes a point, I would actually consider going north up the coast from Bahia to Pedernales. This part of the coast is pristine and is just opening up with the new bridge linking Bahia to San Vicente (cuts ferry time out that used to be between 1 hour and 4 hours down to 5 minutes). Of course this assumes you are also looking for the best real estate values for coastal living. A new highway, bridge, airport and infrastructure has made this part of the coast more accessible.
I am not sure what type of business you are in or want to be in, but I can tell you what is needed on our part of the coast.
1. Internet/computer tech.
2. Well drilling.
3. Construction management.
4. Real estate tours and sales.
5. Concrete plant.

Of course if you are in any type of internet based business, you can work anywhere. I see import/export online being a good model to follow here.

If you want to see our part of the coast let me know and I will help you arrange that.

All the best.

Larry Pioli

Thanks Larry, that is really great feedback.
I especially appreciate you telling me what is needed
there in terms of businesses.

Thanks again.

Melonie

please my friends avoid quito,just for start,its almost frozen and there is no where heating,i am just here always under blankets,this will be till january,ohhh its the 8th day non stop raining....