Is this salary enough to support a family?

Malikone wrote:

Hi i have a job offer im malta as a public bus driver for €6.20 per hour income  so im little confused about the life and house rent for living there.. please advise me what can i do??

Please read all previous posts as the subjects you want answers to have been covered many times, use the search button.  The topic you posted on is from 2015, you will find more recent ones, good luck.

Malikone wrote:

Hi i have a job offer im malta as a public bus driver for €6.20 per hour income  so im little confused about the life and house rent for living there.. please advise me what can i do??

I've talked to some bus drivers and they have confirmed working conditions and salary aren't that great... Which I can imagine - have you actually been to Malta and seen what bus drivers have to put up with every day - bad roads which are far too narrow for the buses, terrible traffic, ignorant car drivers pulling out before a bus or parking at bus stops or in the middle of the road... Taking all this into consideration, I think the salary is a joke! Especially with house prices these days....

Malikone wrote:

This is only around 800 Euro net per month without overtime or boni. When you are on your own, it will be hard - no matter where you live - and if you need to support a family, it's impossible for a foreigner to live in Malta with this salary.

The trouble is, this seems to be the standard salary for bus drivers at Malta Public Transport, see here:

https://www.publictransport.com.mt/en/w … busdrivers

Makes you wonder if it wouldn't be better to boycott the company - after all, if you use the bus in malta, you're supporting a company that exploits their workers!

bernie_iris_fabian_david wrote:

Makes you wonder if it wouldn't be better to boycott the company - after all, if you use the bus in malta, you're supporting a company that exploits their workers!

I boycott them since the 5th day after my arrival in Malta  :lol:

As there is only one bus company we do not have a choice.

Hi kimberlyc86,

With a monthly salary like that it of course depends on what you plan on renting out. Unfortunately a lot of the property prices here are extremely hyped and overpriced but you could easily find a nice 2 bedroom flat for 900 euros.

There is a belief here that Malta is cheaper than every where else but that is not true. Clothing, food (For the most part, expect locally produced fruit veg which can be really cheap), eating out is rather expensive (If you can find any where nice, which again is difficult), very few cafes that do nice coffee. Also, scuba diving here is extremely as is boat rental etc. However, the income tax is slightly more generous - however, this may change for foreign workers I believe,

Additionally, I implore to visit Malta for 2 weeks, even 3 weeks. You will be shocked coming from a beautiful city like Berlin because there's essentially nothing here. No parks, no greenery, not much culture (In the arts, that is), impossible to walk any where (Silema & Valletta are an exception) because the pavements are so bad. And if you decide to drive, you're unlikely to get any where in a hurry.

Further, the air pollution is extremely bad here and it was recently in the news (The Independent, I believe) that Malta has the 4th or 5th worst air pollution in the EU because everyone drives. In fact, it was mentioned on the BBC that asthma suffering among children is massively on the increase here because of the car fumes.

As for noise pollution there is dog barking almost every where. People leave their dogs on roofs and they bark for hours into the night. Note: Hamrun and Santa Verna are particularly bad for this. Naturally, the Maltese also like hit their horn whenever they can so you this all you hear through the day. Additionally, in almost every area a gas truck makes it way round the streets from about 6:15am and hits it horn about every 40 secs and you can hear it for miles - it's seriously loud.

I apologize for being negative but I only want you to know this because I moved here from Scotland 11 months ago to work in an igaming country and I was shocked by all this stuff. I mean, you have to come from a pretty horrible area in some other part of the world to think Malta has any charm - it doesn't.

Might I add this is personal experience but this is pretty much everyone else says in my company and the reason why on average people from others country who work in igaming stay here for about 8 months and leave.

You have replied to a post from 2015.