Homeless in New York, US want to move and work in Vietnam.

Hi all, my name is Than Nguyen, I am a college student/professional looking for employment in Vietnam to move back to Vietnam. I recently got into an argument with my mom, and she kicked me out, and currently living in a homeless shelter in New York, USA. I want to move back to Vietnam, and looking for employment to secure myself before I move.

My family is military here in the US, and I have many years of experience in the business, customer service, management, and restaurant hospitality field, and can multitask in a fast pace environment. I'm presentable, and professional in my work, and life.

I like soccer, baseball, and basketball. I studied Architecture in college, and love arts, music, and computer information technology. My other leisure enjoyment includes having a drink at home to listenning to music to having a picnic outside. 

I am interested in an interpreter, business, or waiter position.  If you can help me, please do, i need the help really badly. Thanks for reading my profile. Have a bless day! All the best, Than

You should post this ad in the Jobs section:-)

I already did.  Thank you.  I'm trying my luck here.  Can you help me?

There're some websites that enable u to find a job on internet like careerlink.vn, careerbuilder.vn, vietnamworks.com. After finding a jod that is suitable, u can submit your application via email and wait for the result. Good luck.

Hi Than,
How bad is the situation with your mother.    It may be worth the effort to patch things up.

Do you have family here ?.     If not , it will be a hard slog.   Wages here are not what your used to in the states.    Waiters earn about $150 a MONTH..  Can you live on that alone.
Some government employees only earn about $200 a month.     

I'd do the maths before jumping in at the deep end.    Maybe it's worth eating humble pie and sort things out back there.

Good luck mate.

Hi Yogi,

It's really bad.  I was conputerized hacked and got my multi million US dollars internet business, and friends scared away/stole from me, and told her to be careful, but she didn't take it well, and convinced that I'm crazy then called the police to take me to the mental hospital after I argued.   It's really bad, and I just don't want to go home anymore, and I'm not asking either.  I want to go back to Vietnam, and make a new life, and yes I can live with $150 a month.  For the time being at least.  I still have my multi million dollars internet business idea and will continue to work at it.  Thank you for asking.  Can you help me?  Nha Trang is beautiful isn't?

Thank you TamLe93.

Good uck to you. God bless you

Thank you Telstar.

If you are serious about finding a job, I'd leave out the hard-luck story and the pipe dream of a multi-million $$$ Internet business idea. It makes you sound desperate and unrealistic. If your Internet idea is any good, why is it still just an idea?

Concentrate on what you have to offer a business. The rest of it is just dead weight and, in truth, will kill any chance you have of landing a great job. The last thing an employer wants is (more) drama from employees.

Something just doesn't sound right.

If English is your native tongue or you can speak as an American, I work for a center in Hue that will have you as soon as you get here! EUC, with offices in HCMC and Hue
We just lost a couple of teachers and this could help you get settled in, at least temporarily.

@Andriane, I don't have any money to go and sustain myself until the first pay check for any company.  What is the requirement to teach there may I ask?  I also don't have a university degree.  If it is just TEFL certificate, then can we be contacts?  I'm currently waiting for government assistance to save up to go.  Thank you.

@Andriane, yes I can speak as an American.

Than, Please send me your CV , I can help you, I am Cindy , American Vietnamese livingin Vietnam, as a headhunter.
Email me your CV: [email protected]
I am looking for IELTS English Teacher, Emergency Dispatcher, couple positions. Just email me, I send you the JD

Andriane wrote:

If English is your native tongue or you can speak as an American, I work for a center in Hue that will have you as soon as you get here! EUC, with offices in HCMC and Hue
We just lost a couple of teachers and this could help you get settled in, at least temporarily.

This school is known to hold passports "hostage" if a teacher attempts to leave Hue.  They'll also threaten to call the police if  the teacher doesn't cough up $1000 for the schools "loss".

cindyyennguyen2015 wrote:

Than, Please send me your CV , I can help you, I am Cindy , American Vietnamese livingin Vietnam, as a headhunter.
Email me your CV: [email protected]
I am looking for IELTS English Teacher, Emergency Dispatcher, couple positions. Just email me, I send you the JD

:blink:  I seriously doubt that he even knows what the IELTS is (or how to prepare for it) and you would try to pass him off as an IELTS instructor?   What would happen when the students complain and the school fires him? 

Great thread for anyone that's planning a foray into the wild and wonderful world of English, Inc. - Vietnam!

Than,

take it from a middle aged guy who worked xx years abroad. You will always take Than with you, with all Than's issues. How come most guys would prefer to be in NY?
Can't you get work there? Save $$$s for your flight? What's your immigration status? Got a Green Card / citizenship?
You are a grown man - forget your mother!

It's painful but part of growing up.
If I was inn your shoes. why would anyone hire me without an interview?! My good looks? Someone saying something on the internet? You gotta turn things around where you are.

Q: "Help" meaning to pay for your flight? Just asking for clarification

Good luck!

Than,

gas pump attendant? Stocking shelves at a supermarket? I've worked in manufacturing, in construction and drove a big truck to other countries. You have got to prepare for long days of hard work.

After 9 hours of teaching and 1-2 hours on the motorcycle, I was often knackered.

IELTS? Sorry, you need to have a degree as you must analyze texts etc., JMHO. But you might land a conversation job? (Thy are obsessed with grammar...)

Than Nguyen wrote:

Hi Yogi,

It's really bad.  I was conputerized hacked and got my multi million US dollars internet business, and friends scared away/stole from me, and told her to be careful, but she didn't take it well, and convinced that I'm crazy then called the police to take me to the mental hospital after I argued.   It's really bad, and I just don't want to go home anymore, and I'm not asking either.  I want to go back to Vietnam, and make a new life, and yes I can live with $150 a month.  For the time being at least.  I still have my multi million dollars internet business idea and will continue to work at it.  Thank you for asking.  Can you help me?  Nha Trang is beautiful isn't?

Than,

I don't want to rile you or make fun of you. Be careful to avoid this talk in an interview - but if you want to unburden yourself here, feel free to share. The above post leaves me confused. Your mother thought your business was all imaginary? You see, you have lost me.

How old are you?

What's stopping you, an able bodied young man in NY from getting a part-time job? So you sleep at a shelter at night. Am hopeful that you will land some job, save and get back on your feet.

Than,

The biggest trouble with the "fight or flight" response that we have for our problems in life is that almost all of our problems are PORTABLE. We can take flight and try to escape them, but in most cases we actually take them with us.  Even if we don't take them with us, by fleeing them we can make them extremely difficult, if not impossible, to resolve them by virtue of the distance.

Sounds to many on this forum that you've got more than your share of problems and resolving them should be your first priority. Taking off to Vietnam or anywhere else for that matter will probably be the very worst thing you can do.

You would be much better off trying to resolve your problems right where you are. I'm sorry I really don't want to rile you either, but I'm sorry to say that I really have to agree with the statement made by starwatcher67...

starwatcher67 wrote:

Something just doesn't sound right.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi Than,

I read a bit of your profile and this is what I gathered. You're a Vietnamese expat living in New York. Fluent in Vietnamese and want to return home in Vietnam as you said.

Your family is military? Or is it just your dad? And military for which country.

So from what I gathered you're asking foreign expats in Vietnam for job leads when you're essentially a Vietnamese local.

Most foreign expats are either teachers or retired in Vietnam since we are not too fluent in Vietnamese. You should have no problems finding any jobs but finding the specific job you want you have to be in Vietnam.

And if you have a multi million dollar internet business it won't work in Vietnam. Computers are luxury items here for most people and not every household has a computer. And as someone said most locals make about $200/month so discretionary spending for non-essential items are low on their priority list of spendings.

Sorry to give you the hard reality. But it's great to have dreams and ideas. But to reap it's rewards you have to realize it comes with putting in insane work hours into your business and lots of days of seeing no positive returns.

Yeah I sound like your mother too but don't get angry at me. Vietnamese mothers are afraid of risks and don't want to see you fail. That's their way of showing affection for you. You're on your own now prove her wrong that your business model can work.

Thank you all for your concern and comments.  I made this post because I was desperate, really needing help for a way out (a job, a place to stay in Vietnam, and a plane ticket etc), because I'm staying at a homeless shelter with no money, nor transportation ontop of none available local jobs, and wanting to go back to Vietnam for a new life missing it.  I'm still at the shelter here with no job or money.  I found an online TEFL (teaching english as foreign language) school, and will get it if I can work and save up for it, but still need help having work first.  If I'm lucky to find help, I might just be loyal and work permanently and forget about teaching english, because finding help is hard. 

@hs0zfe, yes help as in having a plane ticket, job, and temporary accommodation if possible.  And no my mom didnt think my business was imaginary.  She thought the hacking was absurb, why me, how, and didnt believe me.

Thank you James, and Teacher Mark for your comment about life troubles and that school in Hue.  Andraine never replied. 

In all, I'm trying my best, but am not having any luck so my options are limited.

Thank you Cindy.  I will send you my CV.

Khanh, I clearly said my family is military in the US.  And no I'm not a Vietnamese local.  I'm in New York, USA.  And you shouldn't say anything about hard reality and dreams to me.  I'm asking for employment with companies that scours through expatblog, and you don't know what my business is so don't assume it's just for Vietnam or have any dreamy implication.

Hey guys , I am a very very new member but don't like the bickering going on on this post.I thought if was a site to assist each other.....

Calm down a little please...

Hi Jaycee, welcome to expatblog.  Everything is fine.  I just needed to clear things with Khanh that's all.

No issue Than,

Sincerely wish you the best

Take care

JCB

Thank you JCB.

Keep in contact with us and show us your success..I am from Australia and look forward to your posts..take care
JCB.

Aw you're so sweet.  I will.

Than Nguyen wrote:

Khanh, I clearly said my family is military in the US.  And no I'm not a Vietnamese local.  I'm in New York, USA.  And you shouldn't say anything about hard reality and dreams to me.  I'm asking for employment with companies that scours through expatblog, and you don't know what my business is so don't assume it's just for Vietnam or have any dreamy implication.

My apologies I clicked your profile and it says you are an expat living in New York.

I still have to tell you the harsh reality of working in Vietnam. You don't have a degree and in order to work and stay in Vietnam most likely you will need a work permit.

I'm not an expert in work permit but others who hold one can chime in but I was of the impression a university degree was a requirement for work permit.

I want you to pursue your dreams and ideas but you need to see opposing views without getting angry.

Sorry I could not be helpful with your immediate needs of a job, shelter in Vietnam and plane ticket.

Hi guys, I have good news.  Thank you all for your concern, and comments.  I really appreciate them.  My mom and I made up, and I'm going to continue school, and look for work here in New York.  I hope you all a wonderful future, and many blessings.  I will post updates about my life, and hope we can be friends or chat sometimes.  As of right now I will be going to school for English creative writing gearing towards teaching English as a foreign language.  Thanks again for the warm concern, and comments.  Talk to you later.

Than

You're fine Khanh.  Thank you.  Keep in touch.

Al the best ...hope things work out....take care

Great news!   :top:

Teacher Mark wrote:

Great news!   :top:

Thank you.

Good day, everybody!
I am with EUC currently and have had some issues with them holding my passport. I got it back but can no longer recommend them as an employer. My colleague is going through issues of holding the passport for supposed fees incurred to hire him. The amount is more like $300. With the recent changing of the work permit rules, I now realize there is no reason for them to hold your passport at all. There are plenty English centers here in Vietnam that will still hire you. I think you only need a undergrad degree to start. Good luck!

Thank you Andriane.