AIRCONDITONER.... INVERTER AIRCON OR NON INVERTER AIRCON ???????

Some reading I been doing seems to point to the fact that inverter aircon units have a poor reliability record. Some models are said to be subject to geckos, mice, bees, shorting out the circuit boards, others say they are cheaply made.   Has anyone tried both?    I was leaning on buying one for the  savings in energy use as we will have it running most the time, but if they are problem ridden I will go with the non inverter type. 
Thanks

I had a 1 hp and a 2hp Kolin brand inverter split type (for the guest and master's bedroom). I haven't experienced any problems with the 1hp. But with the 2hp, the first problem I encountered was the flap wouldn't close. But that was fixed. Recently, I found that the timer doesn't work. The other 3 non-inverter aircons in our house haven't had problems yet. But then again, all of these are fairly new, around 1 year.

I think most branded aircons have the same reliability. I would suggest to get a brand with a service center close by.

In our previous residence, we had the window type non-inverter aircon. Birds often build nests on the metal frame and brackets that keep it from falling off, and would peck on the foam covering the crevices around the aircon. But in our new residence, we haven't had those problems. Probably having cats helped. We would get half-dead birds, snakes, geckos, house lizards, etc. on our front porch, every now and then, as "gifts" from the cats.

As a frigie by trade, I think inverter systems are a waste of money, a lot more to purchase, more circuits , more to go wrong
also don't buy to big for the room, compressors like running , not cutting in and out and set the thermostat as high as you can, suggest 25c
Peter

mikenjane wrote:

Some reading I been doing seems to point to the fact that inverter aircon units have a poor reliability record. Some models are said to be subject to geckos, mice, bees, shorting out the circuit boards, others say they are cheaply made.   Has anyone tried both?    I was leaning on buying one for the  savings in energy use as we will have it running most the time, but if they are problem ridden I will go with the non inverter type. 
Thanks

We purchased split inverter systems for our home. They are now about 7 months old and so far no problems and they do seem to maintain a constant temperature better than our window air units did. We had window air units previously in another home and had some trouble with ants, bugs and lizards getting into the cover but the units themselves were old and still working well.
I worked in the telecom industry in both wireless and wire line where outdoor air conditioned cabinets and small shelters for fiber, cellular and microwave were used. We had problems on occasion with mice shorting out the electronics by simply laying across them, these were not inverter units. So not being an AC expert I can only say that rodents and other critters can be a problem with both types.
The wireless industry is converting cabinets and shelters to inverter type to lower overall operating costs long term and we did find that mothballs did a great job of keeping out unwanted guests in the system on outdoor units which would be the case with a split inverter system.
We went with LG which had a good rating as far a reliability and an LG authorized service center is within an hour of our home.  In our research we also found quite a few complaints with Samsung while Hitachi was rated number 1 on the same report site that listed LG as number 2.
Our systems sizes were determined by a large Manila based Air conditioning contractor.

I am using Panasonic Inverter for almost 3 years now and it is really good for your pocket :-) Take this one and you will never regret just keep the service maintenance regularly like every 3 months. God bless.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the jobs section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

My personal opinion is that the inverters units are much better and more energy efficient than non-inverter types. I have used them both and it dropped my electric bill from P4-19k per month, depending on usage. I do not know of any types other than the split-type, which is low at 1hp. Also I only use the Japanese company, type, inverter air conditioners. (i.e. Panasonic, Sharp, etc.).

I have heard that the Samsung & LG (Korea) brands are satisfactory, but there are some people that experienced problems, but these problem occurred during the warranty period. I personally do not use any LG products because I have had nothing but trouble from every purchase that I have made from LG (from PC disc burners to large appliances such as the refrigerator and front-load washer). So of course I am anti-LG.

Using mothballs does help in certain units with critters, but I use mothballs, as well as other pest control, all over my house.