4 Months Living in Puerto Rico...This is what I have learned so far

Great discussion, thank you, everyone for your thoughts!

We may have come here on different ships, but we ended up in the same boat.

frogrock :

We may have come here on different ships, but we ended up in the same boat.

Yea and you like to rock the boaat :one

where, who, what is the ballast?

The U.S. is referred to as "afuera"(outside). People say that they came from "afuera" as to anywhere in the U.S.

The people in our area referred to us as "immigrantes" since we came from afuera. Now after a year and a half, they refer to us as  Don Ray and Dona Maria. So I guess we have become townspeople.

It was a great thing to be able to greet people we know recently at the Fiestas Patronales here. We finally have arrived and now are home!!!!!

Amen to you Johnny. We are from NY also and have now found a new home. We love it here and are here to stay.

I was born and raised in NY and will always have it in my heart but am happy to get out of the snow and cold. My hubby was born in San German but was raised in NY and is very happy to have retired here

If we want some cold and snow, we can always hop a plane. Sure everything is not like NY but we are here now and have learned to adjust.

Funny thing  about this where you from concept. Unless you were born,raised, never left and will die in the same place your are from somewhere else (Expat). My wife and I experience it all the time here in this small town in central Ga. We are still considered not from here and we have lived here 15 years.

Kinda amusing...we have lived in many places all over north america.   No matter where you go, the concept is the same.

When we lived in Alaska, the local natives -  meaning native american's of the local several tribes (Tlingit, Haida, Tsimshian)  in SE Alaska would often refer to themselves as "inside Indians" and the other Native Americans as "outside Indians" ; meaning Indians from from the lower 48,( such as Navaho, or Blackfoot tribes) as "outside Indians".

When we lived in SE Texas, the native people of Galveston referred to themselves as "BOTI" - they even had bumper stickers for themselves - (meaning "born on the island") and all others as outsiders.

When we moved to CT, my neighbor (who had lived in CT for his whole life & was 72yo) joked that it took the entire 45 years in town to finally be accepted by the locals as a local new englander.  (New Englanders seem to have a reputation of not accepting new folks )

I guess the idea or concept of some type of tribal membership is truly universal.   

I wonder if this earthly concept will change when the little green men from Alpha Centauri land their flying saucer and say "take me to your leader"??   :/

Questions and answers about Puerto Rico

Ask your question
Pit bull and pit bull mixes
By Lulu822
Service dogs
By Lulu822
Best ways to safely transport pets to and fro Puerto Rico
By DeborahMarchant
Are you happy in Puerto Rico?
By Priscilla

Expatriate health insurance in Puerto Rico

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Puerto Rico

Moving to Puerto Rico

Find tips from professionals about moving to Puerto Rico

Travel insurance in Puerto Rico

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Puerto Rico

Flights to Puerto Rico

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Puerto Rico