Visit with view toward relocation

Sometime next month my wife and I would like to visit Ecuador and hopefully talk with some Amerticans already living there. My name is Ron, I'm a clinical psychologist in private practice, and I'm 66 years old. My wife Jean, who is 58, is the office manager in our practice. We will be looking toward retirement within the next few years. When we visit, we probably will spend only about 10 days. We would like to hear from you about where we could stay, a hotel or a bed and breakfast with reasonable rates. We appreciate all responses.

Hi Ron,

You should most certainly check out Cuenca. There is a wonderful retired expat community here, but Cuenca is small enough that you can still get out on your own and meet Ecuadorians. Plus it is a safe city that has lots to offer, including a springtime climate year round.

I am 27, am originally from the Seattle area, and live here with my husband (who is Cuencano) and our 2 month old daughter. My husband is a facilitator here in Cuenca and he helps a lot of prospective retirees figure out the system here in Cuenca (including helping them find a place to stay, city tours, and apartment searches during their scouting visits). I'm sure he would be happy to talk to you about setting up arrangements here in Cuenca if you'd like. His name is Arturo and his email address is [email protected], or you can visit his facilitator website facilitatorscuencaecuador.blogspot.com. He speaks both Spanish and English (we lived in the states for a number of years before moving back to Ecuador).

I also would be happy to answer any questions you may have about being an expat living in Ecuador.

Good luck with the visit planning and I hope we can meet up if you decide to visit Cuenca.

Un abrazo
Becca

Here is a planed visit my wife and I have set up for starting March 11th. Fly for Miami to Guayaquil and check in to Howard Johnson. Personal driver picks us up at the airport. Leave with personal drive and guide who speaks English for LoJa by car on the morning of the twelfth.  Two nights at Hotel La Castellana. LoJa tour and visit of surrounding area. Transfer to Vilcabamba with one night at Hosteria Madre Tierra. Visit Vicabamba Valley and surroundings. Drive to Cuenca the city we most are interested in living in. We will provide our own accommodations and agenda while in Cuenca as we have some knowledge of the area. No personal driver. The 18th travel back with our personal driver and guide to Guayaquil and Hotel Howard Johnson. The 19th transfer to Salinas Beach and Hotel Amira with our driver then spend the rest of the 19th and the 20th at the beach. Picked up on the 20th in time to be taken to the airport for trip back to Miami. Total costs for two persons $1882 US dollars plus plane fair which is between $800 and $1000 dollars for round trip for two people. Price depends on the type of extras you want for the flight. The tour does not include alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, Tips and gratuities and personal expenses. This was set up by a Ecuador travel sight and there phone number is 786-206-7926 the agent in Miami. You have to set up your own flights as they do not arrange airfare. I believe it is a great way to get to know Ecuador and very reasonable price. We are planning to go back again if we like what we see and make arrangement to live there six months  of the year. Winter months.
Wayne Cope  This may not help you but it can't hurt.

Ron;

Depending on where you might want to scout, I would recommend touring the coast. One of the nicest coastal areas is between Canoa and Pedernales for pristine beaches and a laid back lifestyle. If city living is more your taste or need a larger population base I would recommend slightly north of Salinas. A larger area with many people on the coast is Olon, situated just north of Montanita.
I mention the area from Canoa to Pedernales as one of the areas that has recently been opened up due to the new bridge that has opened linking Bahia to San Vicente, making the trip to our coast much shorter. Property values are still very low but that is changing with the new highway, airport at San Vicente and new infrastructure being put in by the government. Of course that assumes you want to live in a coastal area with year round temps between 73 and 88 (normally).
I can arrange a visit to this part of the coast if you would like, as we bring clients here every 2 months or so to visit our property and tour our little piece of paradise coastal area.

All the best.

Larry Pioli
(moderated: no free ads)