Making phone calls in Romania

Hi,

When settling in Romania, one of the priorities is to be able to make phone calls.

How to proceed to get a landline installed in Romania?

What are the mobile operators?

What is your average monthly budget?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Maximilien

Mobile operators include Orange, Vodafone and Telekom.  The majority of people in Romania use Orange or Vodafone. 

Fixed operators include Telekom, UPC and RCS-RDS.  Telekom (formerly Romtelecom) is probably the most commonly used.

To get a contract for either mobile and/or fixed phone service, one only needs to go to a provider point of service office with an ID/passport, rental contract or proof of ownership of a residence, or a utility bill in your name.

To get a prepaid sim, you only need to ask for one from the provider, and pay for it.

I have a fixed phone, though I haven't I touched it in years.  I have the service only for the purpose of VDSL internet which uses the line.

As for mobile, which I believe most people rely on day-to-day rather than a fixed phone, I use Orange Prepay and typically pay 6 EUR a month, for unlimited minutes in network, mobile data and SMS.  Quite a good value, in comparison to similar options in the U.S.  I've preferred to be a prepay customer most of the time I've been here so I'm not locked into any contract and can switch/cancel providers at any time if I need to.

Romaniac
Expat-Blog Experts Team