Making phone calls in the Philippines

Hi,

When settling in the Philippines, one of the priorities is to be able to make phone calls.

How to proceed to get a landline installed in the Philippines?

What are the mobile operators?

What is your average monthly budget?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Maximilien

For myself when I had Pldt install the internet line I got a landline with it, total cost per month is 2300 php/50usd a month it is a high speed internet line and the landline.
my mobile is smart and I pay as I go usyually about 100-200 php/4.00 usd a month
I also have skype as my VoIP complete with an online number and a unlimited calling plan for the USA 1777 php/ 3.44 usd a month on an annual basis

There are TWO major Mobile Phone network groups (Smart, TNT & Sun) and (Globe & TM)

Using a prepaid Mobile, a good option can be at a cost of 250 peso (A$7.80) for 30 days

This gives Unlimited text to BOTH the major network groups (Smart, TNT & Sun) and (Globe & TM)
It also allows 180 minutes of calls to ONE of the major network groups (Smart, TNT & Sun)
A plan like this will also allow 100MB mobile internet.  Not much for 30 days though.

To get decent Internet on a mobile, you can pay P2,499.00 (A$78) for 30 days and get 15GB data

Maximilien wrote:

Hi,

When settling in the Philippines, one of the priorities is to be able to make phone calls.
How to proceed to get a landline installed in the Philippines?
What are the mobile operators?
What is your average monthly budget?
Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Maximilien

When it comes to wired connections or phone lines and mobile phones, you can choose to the following major telecoms here in the Philippines: PLDT, Smart Communications, Talk ‘N Text (TNT), Red Mobile (CURE), Globe Telecom, Digitel, Bayantel, Bell Telecom, ABS-CBN Corp; NOW Telecom (formerly Next Mobile); Liberty Telecom / Wi-tribe.

I live my entire life in Metro Manila and PLDT has been the best for our family. They've been growing over the years. To those who would like to avail PLDT, you may wish to check their website where you can choose from variety of products and packages they offer. They have bundle plans including phone bills with unlimited internet services/plans. Other bundles they have include cable TV or Iflix and also for security within the house, they also have additional product or add-ons like fam cam (like a cctv) direct to internet and plans are around Php 1299 - Php 2199 depending on the MBPS that you'd like to get.

My average monthly budget is ranging from Php 1500 (32USD) to maximum of Php 3000 (64USD). Most of the time, I pay for a total of Php 2550 (54USD) that includes a landline PLDT, unlimited internet for 30 days, SUN cellular unlimited texting with calls to other networks same thing with the Globe prepaid and cable TV and this is practical enough that I could also use these things for some business activities.

khryzthinne wrote:

I pay for a total of Php 2550 (54USD) that includes a landline PLDT, unlimited internet for 30 days, SUN cellular unlimited texting with calls to other networks same thing with the Globe prepaid and cable TV and this is practical enough that I could also use these things for some business activities.

PLDT does seem to be the most common landline option in the Philiipines.

Does that 2,550 cover all of that.  I looked at the PLDT website, but it's not very clear when you don't know exactly what to look for or what is available.

That's a similar price to what I had in Australia:  2,550 peso is about A$80

I was paying A$54 for 24Mbs unlimited internet per month.
And A$30 for unlimited mobile calls with 30Gb download allowance on a separate mobile plan
A total of A$84 per month

I live in the province the fastest I could get from PLTD was 5.0 and it is 2300 php a month. It is ok, not great but ok.

ABCDiamond wrote:

Does that 2,550 cover all of that.  I looked at the PLDT website, but it's not very clear when you don't know exactly what to look for or what is available.

Hello. The Php 2550 covers all of those mobile network, phone lines, cable TV and internet plan I may need personally and even for business but, these things vary. I mean, for example, I got PLDT prepaid that is worth Php 300 with 600 minutes of outgoing calls and unlimited incoming only applicable here in Metro Manila. If I will have to call outside Metro Manila or outside the Philippines, I have an extra prepaid card that I can use. Since I only need the landline for some business transactions, I chose prepaid PLDT. For internet plans, I chose the SmartBro with unlimited surfing but limited GB for downloads. Again, I only choose those things that I basically need.

Packages or plans whether it's mobile network or phone lines, you've got varieties of it as long as it will satisfy you. I'm satisfied enough with these plans.

One more thing, there are various promos that major telecoms offer. Like for example in SUN cellular, you can call someone in the US for only Php 2/ min call (that's .04USD per minute) or if you want to call someone in Australia, you can have 10-minute call for worth Php 50 since it's Php 5/min (that's .15AUD per minute). You just have to avail the right promo that will suits your need.

I am with Globe Tattoo and i get a package of ADSL, WiFi and a landline for 1300 a month. This includes free calls to all Globe landlines. The internet service is reliable and i can stream movies. The only problem (as with most companies) is their billing procedures. As long as you mark the due date and pay prior there is no problem.

MY EXPERIENCE ONLY!!!!

I retired here (Tagaytay, Cavite) in October 2008 - applied for a landline (and chased progress many times since then) as at  12 October 2015 STILL WAITING.

Three mobile suppliers are GLOBE, SMART and SUN - all equally bad!

Internet (Globe Wimax) where I live is in all fairness not bad. From friends In other areas I understand it can vary from no existing to OK, obviously depending where you live. PLDT has been promising fibre optic for years but never actually perform.

Once again, my personal experience where I live.

I would like to share my experience
1) with PLDT, upon arrival in the Philippines subscribe for a landline with PLDT is very long. Their requirements is to have the i-card for resident - usually, upon arrival in a new country all the visa process have to be settled with the Bureau of Immigration and it takes some months. Plus, they require 1 year advance payment !
2) Globe is more flexible, you have to show passport, lease agreement under your name, and struggle a bit since it takes them some days to check your background before processing, then installation can be fast.
3) I did not check other suppliers
Average monthly cost for a landline+broadband internet is 1500-1800pesos, fiber is 3500-4500pesos a month (not available in all locations)

Generally Philippine land lines are not worth it for a phone.  Use your cell phone one with 2 or 3 sim cards for such. Message home.  A land line I think is a little better for internet conection but not that much.

we use Magic jack plus.   hook to your computer and it doesnt know if it is in the philippines or New  York.
We keep our US phone number but u can get a number from anywhere u wish and  it works fine in any country,
For 30 usd a year i cant complain, it works for us. There are other VOIP also that surely work.

Magic Jack is OK for States but cant use it for UK......we live in Tagaytay too!

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Inappropriate comment

I do not think anyone does, they are just relating their experience.

Exactly, It asks for people's experiences - my experience as British, it does not work for calls to UK, or so I am told

didnt assume anything, just said "I" am from USA and it works for us.   
Surely there are VOIP  for other countries too as i mentioned.

I think some people might have read this bit wrong:

and  it works fine in any country,

Meaning: "and  it works fine in any country, for calls TO the US"

Those in UK or Aus need to find something similar, maybe Skype ?

. . . having lived in the Philippines (PH) for 3 years after moving here from Los Angeles, California USA, and residing in Metropolitan Manila, and a suburb of  Manila, and in a Provincial area, I can say this:
Leave all your expectations at home before you move here.
In the past I attempted to make arrangements for Land-Line phone, Cell Phone, Internet, and TV in advance of my moves. Money was paid, the Providers made promises. Each and every time, with every available Provider, little or nothing got accomplished. When an installer arrived with only minimal tools and equipment (sometimes on a bicycle) there were requests to use my ladders, or a chair to stand on. PLDT was the only provider that installed a true landline. Others call it a landline but the wire goes up to an antenna that depends on the signal of a cell tower, so the connection is dependent on the strength or the cell signal in the location where we live.
At my current location 3 bars out of five is very rare, I never get more. My Internet functions the same.
Cable is available in many locations. I cannot share that experience because I'm always locked into a 2 year contract and don't want to pay for a redundant service. TV programs are nothing more than platforms for selling soap (laundry, dish, hair, & body).
Making and completing a phone call seamlessly is also rare, especially if you are in a vehicle or a concrete structure. I must stand in the street in front of my house to make or receive calls or text.
And bill paying is often complicated. Most providers have online bill pay. But with intermittent connection, I often must try 2 or 3 times.
Mail service is almost non-existent, so your monthly statement may get to you after the due date or not at all.
In general, I just accept things as they are, eliminates stress and, what the heck, I'm here to enjoy myself and meet-up with my friends face-to-face.
For US calls I have a Magic Jack, as long as I have a reasonably good internet signal I cam make and receive a calls to and from.

Yet another USA comment. I was recently in the USA and had prepaid AT&T Go Phone deal at $30 per month. (Make sure your phone is unlocked first, they will give a sim)  My asawa and I both had Globe sims installed and registered under the OFW program. She could text me for 2p each message and I replied to her using my AT&T sim and it cost me nothing as international texting to 150 countries is free and included in my go phone deal. But most of the time we communicated free thru Facebook messenger and Skype PC to PC for free.

Hi there I'm JOHN ,is that the only cost per year.how dose it work.

get magic jack....make calls from anywhere in the world bck to the US  and Canada, for free.

John mailes wrote:

Hi there I'm JOHN ,is that the only cost per year.how dose it work.

Hi John, Your question is a good one,sorry I was not more clearer in my post.
You're  AT&T card is prepaid so you have to keep it paid up every month. Load the account before the due date and it will be applied to the card automatically on the due date. N.B Other carriers in the US may have free texts. I don' know and am not saying this deal is exclusive to AT&T.

Your Globe card must have a current load and must have a minimum balance of 150p if your going to activate roaming and data. You should not activate either of those options.I did not, but as in all Philippines prepaid plans, your load will disappear on predetermined date even if not used.. I loved the deal. BUT...if you make calls and texts on that OFW sim from outside the Philippines,it will cost you an arm and a leg.

This is how we took advantage of the plan, My Asawa would text me with her globe sim. I replied with my AT&T sim, no cost to me because AT&T give you free texts to over 150 countries, Philippines being one of them.

The Globe web site will suggest you buy an OFW duel sim card pack. We already had our sims and she went into Globe and had both existing cards registered into the OFW plan.

Hope this helps,
Regards, Munchie

Thanks for that explanation.regards John and Thess.