Making phone calls in Macau

Hi,

When settling in Macau, one of the priorities is to be able to make phone calls.

How to proceed to get a landline installed in Macau?

What are the mobile operators?

What is your average monthly budget?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Maximilien

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Off-topic. Please drop an advert in the jobssection.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Arrive in August 2015 and immediately get a prepaid SIM card from 7-11 shop which costs 50 MOP and above depending on how much you want to spend. New number is given in the new SIM card and this phone number is temporary, but is useful to make local call and use free wifi if available.

In September I got my finger printing at the immigration and got a receipt showing that my blue card (work permit) is approved and in process. That receipt (not blue card) will give you approval to go to CTM (biggest telecommunication in Macau) and get a post paid SIM card and a new number (permanent number) for your stay in Macau. If you need to have fiber optic with broadband Internet access in the house, CTM takes a month to install that. One more thing, CTM needs a rental receipt with full address of the house you stay before approving the post paid SIM card.

If you are only on a short stay in Macau, you don't have to go through all these. Just use what you have (mobile phone) from your origin country and free wifi from hotel if available in Macau. Wechat, What's APP, Line are free communication tool to communicate with friends overseas.

hi,

ctm is the no. 1 telecom service supplier in macau, if you need more info, pls contact me by xxx

regards

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I will be around 2 months in Macau...SHould I unblock  my phone and buy a new sim card? Or buy a new phone (basic) there?

What kind of prices are there for prepaid cards? Any ideas when I can find thoses infos?

If you are long term staying in macau, subscribes to CTM postpaid after you gotten your blue card. As far as I've known, CTM line is stable, faster and better than other telco service provider. Do not get 3Macau. I've used their unlimited data package and their speed is so much slower that couldn't even load youtube video. Not to mention, all over macau free WiFi hotspot is sponsored by CTM as well including the WiFi in public bus. In terms of payment, I'm currently using CTM 4G unlimited data package which cost about $700 MOP per month.