Thanksgiving in HCM?

Hello Everyone-

BrotherDonald and I were wondering the same thing.

Are there any western restaurants in HCM that serve Thanksgiving meals?

If anyone knows of any we are all ears :)

Thank you!

Angela

Not sure if Thanksgiving is widely celebrated in HCM like Oktoberfest & Halloween, but I reckon the American restaurants in the city would surely have something on.

You could scout out Pasteur St. - there're dozens of nice cafes & restaurants.  There's also a Texas BBQ on Le Thanh Ton St., District 1.

Good luck :-)

Just remembered there's a New York Steakhouse right across my office on Nguyen Dinh Chieu St., Dist.1.  I could ask them next week, if you like.

@Crackhead That would be great- if it is not too much trouble!

I will not get my hopes up too high- I know they do not celebrate Thanksgiving over here.

I can always substitute some dishes- I had mashed potatoes and a meat pie over at Phatty's Sports Bar earlier this week, that was yummy.

Now, if I can just find some stuffing and cranberry sauce ;)

Hey, if nothing else,
I'd even settle for KFC.
Haven't had mashed potatoes in two months.
Anyone else interested in
a Thanksgiving get-together?
Recommendations for a time and place?
I'd be up for it.

Thanks!

You can get a thanksgiving dinner at any of the world class hotels in District 1.  Caravelle, Legend, New World etc.  They are the closest you'll get to a good ole' American Thanksgiving.

I found this on the Carvelle Hotel website:
http://www.caravellehotel.com/en/1/15/158/products.aspx

The price is a bit steep for me.
Any other leads or ideas?

American Thanksgiving
Thursday, 25 November 2010

Whole Roasted Turkey with Traditional Condiments - Stuffing, Giblet Sauce and Cranberry Jam

Fresh seafood station with oysters, salmon fillet, marinated seabass fillet, king prawns, flower crabs, etc cooked to guests' order with sauces

Caviar and fish roe station are fascinating with sea grapes, salmon roe, lumpfish black and red with traditional condiments

VND 938,000++ per person

Price is subject to 5% Service

Here's an email I got from the Legend Hotel.
The menu is very large -- including turkey, dressing, pumpkin pie, etc.
Plus the price is getting a bit better - 760,000 VD.
Anyone else interested in meeting up?

Happy Thanksgiving Day!

Thank you very much for your interest in our Legend Hotel, Saigon.

For you information , Atrium Café (International Buffet Restaurant) in Legend Hotel, Saigon will be serving “Thanksgiving Dinner" on Thursday, November 25th.
So you can celebrate this customary feast among friends with traditional Thanksgiving delicaties in Saigon's most spectacular buffet spread. We would like to send you the Thanksgiving Buffet Dinner menu for your reference.

We would appreciate it if you could make a reservations as soon as possible.
Buffet dinner cost/adult: VND 760,000++(~USD38++) inclusive wine, beer, soft drinks, coffee and tea.
Note: Prices are subject to service charge and VAT.

If we can be of any assistance to you, please let us know vie email or by telephone.
Our contact number: 3823 3333 – ext: 189/190 or direct line: 38 232 833
Once again thank you so much and look forward to welcoming you to our Legend Hotel, Saigon.
Yours sincerely,

Ngo Thuy Linh (Ms.)
FB Secretary

Just an FYI.  Here's the note I got from New World:
The price is a bit more, and I don't know the full extent of the menu, but in case you miss Thursday -- this one is on Friday:

Greeting You from New Word Saigon hotel

Thank you for interest in our Parkview

Kindly be informed that the Thanksgiving Dinner Buffet on Friday, 26 November 2010

The Price: USD49.00 excluding 10% VAT and 6% service charge

Incuding free flow of Beaujolais Noveau, Chilian house wine, tiger draught, soft drink, tea and coffee

Would you please make the reservation by mail or number 08 3829 4000, ext. 2200

If you need further information please feel free to contact us at any time

Looking forward to hearing from you soon

Thanks and best regards

Tran Van Quyen

Hey guys.

The New York Steakhouse just told me they won't be holding a Thanksiving special. 

I had lunch at Black Cat today - their burgers & sandwiches are awesome and they're known for their Big Cheese 500-gram monster :mad:

Anyway, they WILL be having their Thanksgiving dinner buffet on 25 Nov. for only $27.  There's also a home delivery menu with over 30 items, including a traditional 7-kg roast turkey for 1,400,000 VND.

Can't find a way to upload the menu on this blog, so if anyone is keen to see it, just PM me your fax # or e-mail & I'll send it across.

Else just call them at 08-66789-556 or e-mail [email protected]

Would love to join you guys for the dinner but I'll be in Hanoi that week.

Happy Thanksgiving & enjoy !

Dear Crackhead,
Thanks for the info.  The price is sounding even better.
My personal email is
[email protected].
Be great to see what their buffet includes.
Do you happen to know the times?
thanks much.
Donald

Hi, you can enjoy buffet dinner in Legend, Sheraton or Carravell Hotel.

1. Legend Hotel Saigon

Special dinner buffet with traditional Thanksgiving delicacies.

Fee: VND 666.000++ including free flow of wines, beer, soft drink, coffee and tea

When: Thu, Nov 26th 2009 6:00 pm to 11:30 pm

Where: Atrium Cafe, Legend Hotel Saigon, 2A-4A Ton Duc Thang Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
T: (84-8) 3823 3333

2 Sheraton Saigon Hotel
Enjoy quality time with your loved ones over Thanksgiving dinner at Saigon Cafe. Dine on a magnificent buffet of traditional fare with your all time favorites, including premium imported US butterball turkey, smoked ham, prime rib and pumpkin pie.

Saigon Cafe, Level 1
November 25, 2010
6pm – 10pm
VND 850,000++
Tel (08) 3827 2828

To Brother Donald,

Can I have the email address where you got the Legend Hotel Thanksgiving Menu from.  I am not getting a response on the phone number listed.

Thanks,  Crystal

Ngo Thuy Linh (Ms.)
FB Secretary
[email protected]

Best wishes!

This from Thanh Nhien Newspaper:

Turkey countdown
Last updated:     11/19/2010 10:00

WHERE TO GO

Customers can go to the following restaurants in HCMC to enjoy a Thanksgiving Day dinner:

Café Rivoli
Sofitel Saigon Plaza Hotel
17 Le Duan Boulevard, District 1
Tel: (08) 3 824 1555
Email: [email protected]

Nineteen Ground Floor
Caravelle Hotel
19 Lam Son Square, District 1
Tel: (08) 3 823 4999
Email: [email protected]

Atrium Café
Legend Hotel Saigon
2A-4A Ton Duc Thang Street, District 1
Tel: (08) 3 823 3333

Here in Ho Chi Minh City, famous chefs in five-star restaurants are amassing intricate menus and rolling up their sleeves to prepare a nice and meaningful dinner for their customers on Thanksgiving Day.

The kitchen staff at the Sofitel Saigon Plaza Hotel are busily crafting a buffet for Thanksgiving Day at the Café Rivoli Restaurant.

The restaurant, bedecked in elegant and modern décor will stock a full buffet featuring fresh roasted turkey and all the traditional trimmings.

The dessert menu is slated to feature cheesecake, traditional apple pie and fresh fruit accompanied by free drink.

The Thanksgiving Day party will take place from 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. on November 25. Admission will cost VND750,000++ for an adult, VND375,000++ for a child from six to 12 and free for kids under five years old.

For those interested in eating their Thanksgiving meal in a homier atmosphere (or tricking their in-laws into believing that they can cook) the five-star hotel will be selling turkey and other Thanksgiving essentials at their Gourmand shop in the lobby.

A kilogram of a roast turkey and condiments will sell for VND495,000++.

The hotel has already begun taking orders for whole birds (cooked, of course). Orders must be placed at least one day prior to your pick-up date.

If you do attempt to cook an entire Thanksgiving meal and fail, consider Nineteen Restaurant, located in the luxurious downtown Caravelle Hotel.

The hotel staff is gearing up to carve whole roasted turkeys and serve out traditional condiments – stuffing, giblet gravy and cranberry sauce.

The traditionally terrestrial menu will be accompanied by a bountiful seafood selection of oysters, salmon fillets, marinated sea-bass, king prawns, and flower crabs, cooked to order and accompanied by a host of delicious sauces.

Caviar and fish roe stations will offer sea grapes, salmon roe, lumpfish (black and red).

The main selections will be accompanied by appetizers, soup, cheese plates, roasted meats and desserts. The buffet will cost VND938,000++ per person.

Customers can also pass by Legend Hotel Saigon to enjoy a buffet at Atrium Café Restaurant.

The buffet lunch will cost VND420,000++ for an adult and entire Thanksgiving meal and fail, consider Nineteen Restaurant, located in the luxurious downtown Caravelle Hotel.

The hotel staff is gearing up to carve whole roasted turkeys and serve out traditional condiments – stuffing, giblet gravy and cranberry sauce.

The traditionally terrestrial menu will be accompanied by a bountiful seafood selection of oysters, salmon fillets, marinated sea-bass, king prawns, and flower crabs, cooked to order and accompanied by a host of delicious sauces.

Caviar and fish roe stations will offer sea grapes, salmon roe, lumpfish (black and red).

The main selections will be accompanied by appetizers, soup, cheese plates, roasted meats and desserts. The buffet will cost VND938,000++ per person.

Customers can also pass by Legend Hotel Saigon to enjoy a buffet at Atrium Café Restaurant.

The buffet lunch will cost VND420,000++ for an adult and VND210,000++ for a child, including soft drinks, tea and coffee.

The buffet supper costs VND760,000++ for an adult and VND380,000++ for a child, including wine, tea, soft drinks, beer and coffee.

Looks like the Legend Hotel lunch buffet is the price to beat...

I'm hosting a Thanksgiving dinner at my house but have been unable to find pumpkin pie.  Anyone know where I could find a place that sells pumpkin pie or even pie crust with pie filling?

@ATLOffroad,

an article posted above states "The kitchen staff at the Sofitel Saigon Plaza Hotel are busily crafting a buffet for Thanksgiving Day at the Café Rivoli Restaurant. [...] the five-star hotel will be selling turkey and other Thanksgiving essentials at their Gourmand shop in the lobby."

That may include pumpkin pie. Good luck!

Thanks Patrick, I'll give it a shot.

So who's up for the lunch buffet at the Atrium (Legend Hotel)?

Here's the link with the hours and the cost:
legendsaigon.com/en/view_news.php?id=477

Hey guys (and gals):

Let's do a Vietnamese Thanksgiving...since we are in Vietnam....what's the saying about "When in Rome?"

Instead of having turkey and cranberry sauce...pumpkin pie....we can have a traditional Vietnamese meal (and it wont costs anywhere as much as 400,000 per person like some of the hotel buffets.)

I know it's not about the price of the buffets....

It's about having an opportunity to meet new friends...talk about our experiences....and help each other with VN....after all, isnt this the true meaning of Thanksgiving Charlie Brown? hahahahaha.

Let's meet up tomorrow for dinner!

Quan An Ngon - 6pm is my suggestion!

A Vietnamese friend and I are going to try the traditional
turkey dinner at the Black Cat. ($27)
We'll be there around 5:30 if anyone wants company
with their dinner.
Feel free to join us.
atvn99 -- I'd be up for another get together some other time in the future.  It would be fun to meet other expats/friends here in HCM  As you said, it's more than just the meal.
Gobble.  Gobble.
Happy Thanksgiving all!
and just to chat in English.

atvn99 wrote:

Hey guys (and gals):

Let's do a Vietnamese Thanksgiving...since we are in Vietnam....what's the saying about "When in Rome?"

Instead of having turkey and cranberry sauce...pumpkin pie....we can have a traditional Vietnamese meal (and it wont costs anywhere as much as 400,000 per person like some of the hotel buffets.)

I know it's not about the price of the buffets....

It's about having an opportunity to meet new friends...talk about our experiences....and help each other with VN....after all, isnt this the true meaning of Thanksgiving Charlie Brown? hahahahaha.

Let's meet up tomorrow for dinner!

Quan An Ngon - 6pm is my suggestion!

What is the address of Quan An Ngon, atvn99?

Hey!

Here's the address:

Quan Ngon
138 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia St, District 1

It's a big Villa converted into a restaurant...you cant miss it.

The food variety is pretty large but you have to get there before 6pm....after 8-8:30, they begin to run out of food.

If you go at 7pm, there will be about a 15 minutes wait.

Prices are good for expats....and not too high for locals.

Enjoy!

Hello.  I am new to this forum and found it through Google.  I appreciate all the posts and will be going to the Black Cat at 6 pm.  Look forward to meeting others there.

Jonathan

Hearing no takers for the lunch buffet - and needing to give my appetite some time to prepare - I will probably join the burgeoning Black Cat contingent. Quan An Ngon sounds good too (I've been to the one in Hanoi); if it doesn't happen tonight I would be up for it this weekend.

Black Cat's a better idea .... it's not Thanksgiving without the turkey, even with good company .. :-)

Wish I could join you guys tonite, but I'm still in Hanoi enjoying the cool weather.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Cheers

A great time was had by all at the
Black Cat Restaurant.
Turkey -- 4 stars
Mashed potatoes & gravy -- 5 stars (my fav after 3 months of rice)
Pumpkin, apple, pecan pies -- not gramma's flakey crust, but all 4+ stars
Best part -- the company.
Fun to meet Patrick, Jonathan & Hai.
Look forward to future expat get-togethers.
Tempted to go back to the Black Cat for a burger.
But I can wait a few months for that.
Quan An Ngon sounds interesting.
Maybe for a future get-together.
Thanks too to all those who posted info on this forum.
It was great getting to know that this resource exists.
Blessings to all.

Great to hear that you enjoyed a lot Thanksgiving. It is like the offline meeting together for this forum, MR. BrotherD?
Hope to join you guys next time

Carry out or eat in is available at most 4 & 5 star hotels.  The Equatorial hotel has a nice package with all the trimmings if you want to take home.  New World Hotel is also pretty good.  Sheraton, Legend & Hyatt are pricey.  I'm still looking for a reasonably priced Pumpkin Pie...
Bill

Capt Bill wrote:

Carry out or eat in is available at most 4 & 5 star hotels.  The Equatorial hotel has a nice package with all the trimmings if you want to take home.  New World Hotel is also pretty good.  Sheraton, Legend & Hyatt are pricey.  I'm still looking for a reasonably priced Pumpkin Pie...
Bill

Okay Capt Bill, I'll let the moderators know to use their time machine and send your message back 3 years so the OP can read it (you realize you're responding to a thread that started in 2010?). 

As for your pumpkin pie, why not start a new thread?  There's a few pie lovers in our Expat-Blog community that might be able to help you.

Just made reservations at The Legend Hotel. For those interested the serving time is only between 11;30 and 2 P.M. Not excited about that, but can't be picky.

m

bta87 wrote:

Just made reservations at The Legend Hotel. For those interested the serving time is only between 11;30 and 2 P.M. Not excited about that, but can't be picky.

Let me know if the "turkey" is in fact the gobbly gobbly kind and not the cluck cluck kind.  Meaning they just use chicken meat and call it turkey.  I have yet heard of a turkey farm in Việt Nam.

THD,
  We are at the Legends eating now. Indeed, it is a real turkey. Must say they have done a wonderful job. I was worried there may not be any Asian food for the bride. But they have done a fabulous job. Well worth the price in my opinion. Happy Thanksgiving to you THD and all the rest.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Let me know if the "turkey" is in fact the gobbly gobbly kind and not the cluck cluck kind.  Meaning they just use chicken meat and call it turkey.  I have yet heard of a turkey farm in Việt Nam.

THD: Most places selling the Thanksgiving feasts import the turkeys and they are indeed the real thing. I've had several Thanksgiving dinners with AmCham at the New World Hotel and watched the turkeys being carved. That's why the cost is rather high. My wife, being the penny (er dong)-pincher that she is, now prefers to slave in the kitchen and prepare her own Thanksgiving feast (with some Chinese twists) for us. We even had our own Turkey 2 years ago.

saigonmonkey wrote:

THD: Most places selling the Thanksgiving feasts import the turkeys and they are indeed the real thing. I've had several Thanksgiving dinners with AmCham at the New World Hotel and watched the turkeys being carved. That's why the cost is rather high. My wife, being the penny (er dong)-pincher that she is, now prefers to slave in the kitchen and prepare her own Thanksgiving feast (with some Chinese twists) for us. We even had our own Turkey 2 years ago.

Hmm, maybe I should go up in the highlands and start a turkey farm - AmCham would buy it because they are "made in Việt Nam".  So you guys got an oven then?  Where'd you find the pumpkin?

Gonna make all your mouths water here.

http://www.ourprattville.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/ThanksgivingFeast2.jpg

THD,
   Is the photo of the spread you made for this special occasion?
Our Neal was pretty good, sans the mashed potatoes. How can you not have mashed potatoes for turkey day. They did have sweet potatoes, dressing, the traditional pies.
Plus loads if other things . The drinks were a free flowing and included in the price. Had some really good beer. The ice cream was homemade, and the deserts to die for. Full compliment is sushi and on and on.
  They are also having another setting for this evening w/ the cost being $50 per set of teeth. The noon meal was half that