Buying a car in Venezuela

Hi,

To be able to move in Venezuela, a lot of expatriates think of buying a car, whether new or second-hand.

What are the formalities to buy a vehicle in Venezuela: car registration, insurance, etc.?

What are the relevant authorities or organizations to contact?

How long does it take and what are the associated costs?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

If I may reply with a simple reply - a used car in Venezuela is almost non-existent. and the ones that are here
are sold mostly by private owners (not car dealerships as we know in Canada and U.S.) and most have many
problems, which is why the owners are looking to rid themselves of them. and to that point, auto parts are
most non-existent here as well, thus a wait for things as simple as a water pump or the same can be lengthy
and VERY costly. and in so far as prices are concerned, I own a 1997 Ford which in my home country, the
U.S., would not be worthy of a hand-me-down car - it has really no value in the States HOWEVER here in
Venezuela it could command the equivalent of $4,000.00 !!! it's absolutely ridiculous. my recommendation
is that if you don't have a contact with a vehicle, and live in an urban area with various forms of public
transport, DON'T spend your money on a car as it will cost you an arm and a leg and at the first signs of
problems the local mechanics will be "licking their chops" as they will charge you 4 times the cost of any
part - as they know you won't be able to find them economically.