Buying a car in the Netherlands

Hi,

To be able to move in the Netherlands, a lot of expatriates think of buying a car, whether new or second-hand.

What are the formalities to buy a vehicle in the Netherlands: car registration, insurance, etc.?

What are the relevant authorities or organizations to contact?

How long does it take and what are the associated costs?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

Once you are resident in the Netherlands (either because you are an EU citizen or have a residence permit) you have to obtain a Dutch driving licence. You are not then permitted to drive a car that does not have Dutch licence plates.Tourists and non-residents can drive on their EU licence or International Driving licence.  If you do not fall into the category of being able to exchange a driving licence you can use your own licence (you may need an International Driving permit and should check with the Netherland's  embassy in your country) for 185 days, after which you have to take the Dutch CRB theory and driving  test   If you are able to exchange you licence this can be done at Gemeente (Municipality) at a cost of approx EUR 20. You will also need a passport photograph that meets Dutch requirements. It takes two working weeks to receive the driving licence. Further information can be found at http://www.rijbewijs.nl/information-in-english/.

Bearing in mind you cannot drive a Dutch registered vehicle without a Dutch Driving licence, you will need one before you can buy a car in the Netherlands.  You will also need to obtain at least Fire and Theft car insurance and pay annual road tax. this website is useful http://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/wcm/c … rs/bpm/bpm

Hi
We bought our first home in the Netherlands two weeks ago.
I am due to buy a motorbike on Monday but have only UK and Irish ID.
As I understand it, a BSN will be required, which the gemeente provides.
However am not sure if they can issue us this straight away, and is this all that's needed.
So far all we have in our name is a Rabobank a/c and utilities.
If anyone can provide specific advice it would be appreciated.
Kathrin

A AnnKathrinBrown wrote:

Hi
We bought our first home in the Netherlands two weeks ago.
I am due to buy a motorbike on Monday but have only UK and Irish ID.
As I understand it, a BSN will be required, which the gemeente provides.
However am not sure if they can issue us this straight away, and is this all that's needed.
So far all we have in our name is a Rabobank a/c and utilities.
If anyone can provide specific advice it would be appreciated.
Kathrin

Hi.

You'll need to register at the Gemeentehuis and get your BSN before you can register any motor vehicle in your name.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thats good, thank  you. I have a Gemeente appointment next Monday and then go straight to register the vehicle. I will check in with them tomorrow to confirm this is possible the same day as online advice says it takes time for the details to process.

Hi again.

It can take some time; we've had reports of weeks; good luck with it anyhow.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you. I have been advised by the gemeente that they may be able to provide a letter to confirm it is in process but don't have a contact number or email for the RDW? I have tried the standard number (tried 0031 900 0739 but no joy). If this means cancelling my bike purchase it is a strange set up indeed! I need the transport in order to stay and find work so must assume that uitlanders need to wait for the administratie before making any plans ..
However if you can help re how to contact the RDW then I can ask as clearly it is possible to buy a motorbike without being a resident of the Netherlands .. eg to export .. and it is onluy to go into the garage but the seller emigrates next week and Monday was our agreed date of transfer .. that's life I suppose.

RDW - does this link help?