Buying a car in Indonesia

Hi,

To be able to move in Indonesia, a lot of expatriates think of buying a car, whether new or second-hand.

What are the formalities to buy a vehicle in Indonesia: car registration, insurance, etc.?

What are the relevant authorities or organizations to contact?

How long does it take and what are the associated costs?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

Motorized Vehicle Registration and Identification is routinely carried out on motorized vehicles owned by:

Individual Indonesian Citizen (WNI).

Individual Foreign Citizens (WNA) who have a Temporary Stay Permit Certificate or Permanent Stay Permit Certificate in Indonesia.

Government agencies other than the Indonesian National Armed Forces (TNI) or the National Police, and Indonesian legal entities or foreign legal entities with permanent offices in Indonesia.

Requirements for foreigners to buy a car in Indonesia

If a foreigner has a life partner, both a husband or an Indonesian wife, of course buying a car in Indonesia is not a difficult matter because they can use it on behalf of their wife or husband.  However, what about those who do not have relatives of Indonesian citizens?

There are document requirements that must be completed if a foreigner wants to buy a car in Indonesia in his own name.  The following documents are required:

Temporary Stay Permit Card (KITAS) or Permanent Stay Permit Card (KITAP)

Passport

Certificate of domicile

Certificate of Permanent Stay (SKTT)

Actually there is the easiest way, namely by asking the company where you work for help.  So you use your company data to buy a car.

Ryan_chaniago wrote:

Actually there is the easiest way, namely by asking the company where you work for help.  So you use your company data to buy a car.

I would not recommend this as the company would have its name on the all important registration book. If you leave the company or worse, fall out with them, you have zero legal rights as they own the car as far as the law is concerned.
If the expat is on a 1 year KITAS with it being unlikely they will renew, it's unlikely the buying cost against resale value (and hassle of selling) will be cheaper than hiring a car with driver .. and there's no messing around getting a license.
If you live in one of the busier cities, a car is pain with few advantages.

Fred wrote:

If you live in one of the busier cities, a car is pain with few advantages.

Absolutely agreed, unless you buy the car for business purposes to make you money, in the bigger cities I can't see a reason for anyone to buy a car, adding more burden to the already appalling air quality.

That's right, in busier cities the vehicle that is quite useful is the motorcycle. But it is not recommended for those who are not used to driving in Indonesian territory. Because it is prone to accidents.

Ryan_chaniago wrote:

That's right, in busier cities the vehicle that is quite useful is the motorcycle. But it is not recommended for those who are not used to driving in Indonesian territory. Because it is prone to accidents.

Behavior of most Indonesian drivers (whether car or motor cycle) is unpredictable for the simple fact that 99% never learned to drive and passed a serious drivers exam. I do not recommend for any expat to drive themselves in countries like Indonesia, as it is asking for trouble. And as Fred mentioned earlier, in the big cities there's absolutely no need for it as there are sufficient alternatives. When I lived on Bali for a number of years, the -serious- daily expat motor bike accidents were too many to count!

The back of my car is covered in motorbike scratches and other minor damage - same for the sides.
Benni's post is right on the mark for expats unless they really need a vehicle for whatever reason.

Fred wrote:

The back of my car is covered in motorbike scratches and other minor damage - same for the sides.
Benni's post is right on the mark for expats unless they really need a vehicle for whatever reason.

At least in a car you are somehow protected, depending on the type of car you drive. One more thing I would like to add; I think it is a must that if you must drive that you speak the lingo, as if you don't it is very likely that regardless if you caused the accident or not, you will be blamed. That does not happen just in Indonesia, the ME is famous for it, and make no mistake things can turn ugly and get physical very quick!

A Luxio. The perfect vehicle for my needs. It was cheap to buy, it's reliable, light to drive, good on fuel, and has loads of space.
I bought it for family transport with regular holiday trips but it really proved itself when I used to drive all over Java for work.

As for the local lingo - you need it so you can understand road signs and tell angkot drivers what you think of them.

Fred wrote:

A Luxio. The perfect vehicle for my needs. It was cheap to buy, it's reliable, light to drive, good on fuel, and has loads of space.
I bought it for family transport with regular holiday trips but it really proved itself when I used to drive all over Java for work.

As for the local lingo - you need it so you can understand road signs and tell angkot drivers what you think of them.

Unfortunately the angkot drivers won't listen to you about driving rules.  They are fiercer even though they have made mistakes.  Not all, but I can say about 90% of angkot drivers don't want to be regulated.  😅

BTW, Luxio is a car that I often use when working with customers.  The space is quite spacious and can carry a lot of equipment that I need. 😁