New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourself here – 4th quarter of 2015

Hi Bob K- THANKS

Don't really have a preference of villa or condo as of now. Looking to rent while we figure out where we would want to buy. Have searched the internet and have found several sites with rentals for both. Any suggestions are welcome. I will search the forums as well to see what other info I can find on the topic.

Can't wait to make the move!

I'm new to this site, Casa Linda and Hispaniola residential are both wonderful places to experience what Sosua and Cabarete have to offer. After searching for almost 2 years, my future wife and I purchased a villa. The condos at Hispaniola Beach are awesome. But I found condo living wasn't for me.

Welcome Rudy,  where are you from?   Have you been here 2 years?

Long Island New York. My future wife's family is from Santiago. Over the past 2.5 years searched the beach area as close to Santiago as possible, so the family can visit.

Also I am semi retired and also have young children on LI so we travel back and forth to DR and NY like 5 times a year.

Rudy welcome. Sounds like you have made the transition and are doing well.  5 trips back to the states a year would make me crazy, one is hard enough.

Bob K

ns1437 Rudy has made a couple of good suggestions for living places in the Sosua area.  What kind of budget are you looking for?  This will help me make some suggestions.

Bob K

Yes thanks Rudy an Bob k (Rudy we are coming from NYC)

Looked at both great suggestions from Rudy an still looking around online. Probably looking to spend 2000 or less a month. Love both Cabarete an Sousa areas.  We aren't planning on getting a car anytime soon so that's a consideration. Although we have 2 wonderful cab drivers we have met over the years that we will absolutely utilize. Thanks guys. Appreciate the help

Hi again, lets keep this to welcoming new members,  how about opening a thread to discuss this.  Thanks.

I am on a fixed retired income of $3000.00 per month. I have no children and wanted advice as to living in the dr. I know people there (not only women) and have been to the dr several times before: Santiago. Puerto Plata. Santo Domingo. San Pedro de Marcoris. I don't come to the country starry eyed as the tourists do. I know the country from the inside as opposed to what all the brochures teach. I know about the Policia and their corrupt tactics. I also understand the country's history and it's gorgeous beauty - the people. I've done research and could always use more first hand advice. Thank you!

Living in the DR with your income should not be difficult, but you could describe the lifestyle you envision to get better feedback...beach, lots of people or city life, or better a mountain hideaway?  Have you been to Samana, Las Terrenas, Cabrera, Jarabacoa and Constanza?
So many possibilities depending on the person's interests.

I have heard of these places. Not looking to live like a rich man I only want to live within my means and enjoy retirement.

I enjoyo living close to a beach.

Patrickleethephotographer

Welcome to the forums.   Lots of good information here.  You need to read the multiple threads on living here.

Your  income should not be a problem.

What specific questions do you have?

Bob K

First, I want to thank you for your insight. I'm a veteran and would like to know what support is there medically. Also, since I have a decent income - what type of visa would I be applying for? I wouldn't need to work accept for my photography and that would be considered self employment I imagined. And yes, I will read the threads. Perhaps all my questions may have answers in those threads.

Best regards,
Patricklee

You will need to apply for residency and this is a very structured process that starts in your home country. Unless you are fluent in Spanish you will need to hire a lawyer to get this done. There are lots of threads on this issue.

Medical care is ok depending on where you are.  Santiago and Santo Domingo offer the best of the care here.  We have our "major" stuff done in Santiago and if a real problem we head back to the states.

Have a great day

Bob K

Thank you!

You are welcome

Bob K

welcome to the forums!!!!   read read read honey and we will be happy to answer your questions....

Mail:
Ups or fedex. I buy camera gear out of New York and need reliable mail services.

Thank you!

There are a couple of threads about  courier services here,  check them out!

We use CPS for all our packages and have never had a problem.

Shipping direct with UPS and such is VERY expensive.

Bob K

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=553880

Thanks! 

Closed