New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourself here – 4th quarter of 2015

Ingridbatista-s

Welcome tot the forum.  However this is an English language board.  Could you please repost in English.

thanks

Bob K

Cwatson you are going about it the correct way.

You need to come and spend a month or two living here as opposed to being a tourist.  The north coast area  (sosua/cabaret) area certainly has what you are looking for.

We have been living in this area full time for over 9 years now and have not looked back for a second.  Please feel free to ask away.

As far as rent goes it depends on what you are looking for and location.  You can get a nice condo/apt with security  for as little as $400 a month to as much as $1500 a month.

Bob K

I am sorry Ingrid this thread is in English please.  Repeat your message in English please honey.

Howdy!  My name is Seth and living in Santiago with my Dominican wife.  Have a place in Lubbock, Texas on ice temporarily.   Lived here several years in early 2000's, and returned in 2014 to marry my wife, a Dominican sweetheart.  We are deciding whether  to go back to Texas, or live here.  I am retired radiologist with considerable experience in management and computer skills, and would like to do some type of decent work. Any suggestions would be welcome.  The family has homes in Santiago and Santo Domingo with plenty of room for us to stay at either location.  Best, Seth

Seth welcome to the forums.  There is lots of information here on how to work here legally and work in general.  I suggest you look at those and then come back with specific questions.  First and foremost you will need your residency and cedula to obtain work here.

Good luck on your adventure.

Bob K

Thats for you help.
Is there a web page I could look at for finding a place to rent? I have goggled a few but I am not if they are the better ones?

Thank thank you for the reply.   But, what is a Cedula?   I've never heard of that term  and I've just finished the process getting my Dominican wife's visa, which took a little over one year. 
   My father-in-law here says getting residency here was a more simple process, but perhaps things of change since he was a consulate in Chicago for the Dominican republic

It might be  a bit easier with a Dominican wife but you will still need both to work here.  A cedula is a national ID card.  Much like a green card in the US

Bob K

You have a Dominican wife.  Much faster, easier & cheaper to get Dominican citizenship while retaining your own nationality citizenship. It will give you many benefits. Look into it, it is a  worthwhile thing to do.

Again thanks for the replies.   My wife and I are spending most of our time at the big house in Santiago, but I've had little time to interact with my father-in-law who has the knowledge, but is difficult to talk with being extremely busy with much business and political affairs, and does not spend much time here; But, mostly in Santo Domingo.  I finally decided I didn't want to bother him with this and found this website thankfully.
  So it looks like I can't get  residency status started  while I'm here in the Dominican, and will be until January. However I'm considering leaving in November to continue some other work. That hasn't been decided yet, but I thought I could get my  residency/citizenship started while I was here? But that does not seem to be the case, and I must return to the  United States?   It would be much easier to start that while I'm here, and there must be an online document our application?   There's a US Embassy in Santo Domingo.  There isn't a consulate office   within six to 8 hours of where I live in Lubbock in Central West Texas.  I would probably have to go to Dallas, Houston or the capital Austin.  I think a number of the Dominican republics could fit inside the state of Texas.  Best, Seth

NO you HAVE to start the process in the USA.  NO way around that.

Bob K

Dang & Daggumit!   OK.   Thank you!

You are welcome...sorry :(

Bob K

Yup it sucks but it is the system....

Hello everyone! My name is Ivana, I am originally Serbian, at the moment in France. This winter I will come to Dominican republic, with my little baby, to join my Dominican husband. Later I have to come back to France when my parental leave will be over.

My husband is working in a development project in the border area and we will be living in a small town Las Matas de Farfan in Elias Pina region. Anyone familiar with this part of the country?

I am also considering starting the procedure for the citizenship, as in the future we might be settling there and I am understanding it is easier to get it then the residence.

I am for now exploring the forum, hope to be posting more soon :)

Welcome Ivana,   Sorry to tell you that to do citizenship  you start with residencia.  It just goes a bit faster honey.  I don't know much about that area of the country, sorry.

Don't know the area either.

And yes you need to start with residency and it has to start in  your home country

Bob K

Thank you for welcoming me :)

I guess I will be the one reporting about this area of the coutnry ;)

If it has to be in my home country that is Serbia, and there is no embassy in Serbia for DR. But as I have residence in France could I start the procedure here?

Seems so complicated :/

It is complicated you are right.  You need to check with the embassy in France and ask the question honey.  I had a client in Ukraine had to go to Russia to get hers done.  Yikes.

Yes you may need to go to a neighboring country rather than France.  Check with the Embassy in France first.  It will not be easy for you....sorry

Bob K

Yes I might add we look forward to your contributions from that part of the country!

Bob K

Yes hi,

I am coming to the Dominican Republic for a visit from December 3rd to December 12th. And would like to meet expats who have a working knowledge of the Santo Domingo city and the surrounding area.
I am looking to make a permanent move, find work in the building services industry as an multi-skilled engineer.
Or stetting myself up to work for myself.
It would be great to meet with expats who can supply me with their knowledge of the country. It would be much appreciated.
I live in Nottingham, and not Liverpool- I was born there.

Regards

Bill Moylan

Welcome Bill,  first let me encourage you to read and read and read the threads.  You  will likely find a lot of information you are looking for.  As to meeting in SD -  I suggest you start a thread  with that subject and  see who responds. I will see if I will be in SD that week.

Yes welcome Bill.  Do read the multiple threads on living, moving to and working in the DR. Working here can be challenging and you do need your residency and cedula (national ID card).

Do spend some time here exploring before making the leap.

Good luck.  We are on the north coast and avoid going to as much as possible.  If your travel plans come to include the north coast I would be happy to meet with you

Bob K

Hi Priscilla,

Thank you for the reply- if you are in Santo Domingo that week it would be great.

Regards

Bill Moylan

Hi Bob,

Thanks for that.
I will be hiring a vehicle, and more than likely travel to see you if that is oaky.
At this moment my itinerary is unscheduled. But am certain it will unfold as the
time of my arrival gets near.

Many thanks Bobs

Bill

Keep us all posted.

Bob K

Hello all. My name is Alex. I currently live in NYC and I'm planning to move to the DR in the future with my wife. Although I am of Dominican descent, I was born in the US and have never spent extended time in DR. Sadly as an adult I have been there a handful of times on vacation only and have not really experienced everything the DR has to offer. My family are all in the US and thus I haven't ventured out when in the DR. My father is originally from SD but eventually moved to San Pedro de Macoric (yucky I know). My mother is from Hator Mayor. My grandparents had a farm there and eventually built a house in San Pedro as well. As a teen I visited San Pedro for summers but never liked it. Back then the economy there was better as the port was open, the Zona Franca was open as well as the University. Since then all those things have closed and the town has basically never developed. I have been to DR as recently as March of this year with my wife. We went to Punta Cana and basically just stayed on the resort for rest and relaxation. My wife is originally from San Francisco de Macoris. She lived there to her teen years but been back until our trip to Punta Cana. Was interested in moving to La Romana. Maybe Bayahibe. If anyone could offer some insight to Bayahibe, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any responses. I'm done rambling.

Official welcome to the forums Alex!

Thanks Planner!

Alex welcome to the forums. There is a ton of information here on various threads concerning moving, living, etc here.  Read, read and then read some more and come back and ask questions you may have

My wife and I moved to the North Coast (Sosua/Cabarete) 9+ years ago and have not looked back for a second.  I grew up in the New York area (actually NJ) and when to school at Columbia

I don't know much about living in the southern areas.

Bob K

Thanks Bob. I have been seeing a lot of answers from you and Planner in particular. Definitely trying to read as much as possible to avoid asking about questions already answered. That's for extending the welcome. Appreciate it.
Alex

Greetings Folks,

My wife & I recently booked our annual vacation in Las Terrenas from Feb 8th to March 8th, 2016. We're interested in meeting other Canadians when we're there to learn the "ins & outs'" of staying in Las Terrenas, (things to do, grocery store preferences, etc.") We're also avid snorkelers.

I have my sister from Texas arriving to stay with us for 2 weeks and a friend from Moncton to join us for 10 days also.

I'm a passionate lover of the Caribbean and would very much like to talk my wife into 3 months every year during the winter, but she's only interested in leaving Canada for 1 month.

Send me a reply if you're looking to get aquainted. We're Christians and would also appreciate a referral to a good church when we're there!

Welcome to the forums!   You will find lots of info and some great people here. Hopefully you connect with some people in the area you are interested in!

Hi Peter, we're from Moncton and will be in Las Terrenas in Feb 2016. Feel free to drop me a line via email if you like.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : do not post personal contact details here for your own security

HI, it is never a good idea to put your email address on an open forum. I have asked for it to be removed.

Tappers welcome.  I am sure you will have lots of contacts as there are lots of expats living there.

BobK

How do you change the user name !  I've tried on my profile but can't change it !!

Good question I will ask for help.....

rio2014 wrote:

How do you change the user name !  I've tried on my profile but can't change it !!

I will contact you in private.

Thanks

Priscilla

Closed