Mail service

Hello everyone !
Well.. this is it for us.. Our house in the US sold , a container is on its way to the DR, we are now living with friends while waiting for our stamped passport from the Dominican Consulate and by the end of October , we should be moving in  in our new home in Sosua.
This site has always been a great source of information which facilitated our big move to the North Coast. However, I could not find a link regarding mail service. What do US expats do to get mail or send mail. I know the Dominican mail  system is literally snail mail and almost no one uses it. So how do you do it ?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Congratulations!!!!  This is big......   So mail, no one relies on mail here. YOu need an account with a mail forwarder,  I use CPS and  have for years,  you get an address in Miami where you send everything. Then they bring it (For a fee of course)  to your city.  They have locations in  La Romana,  SD, Santiago, Punta cana, Puerto Plata, Sosua etc etc.

Congrats for sure. 

AS to mail forget it.  We use CPS in Sosua (right down the road from you) with excellent success.  However we only ship packages (my wife is an Ebay/amazon junkie) and occasionally a pack of mail form our mail service in the US.  I bet we have not received 20 letters/mail in over 9 years.  With the age of computers snail mail . pony express is obsolete.

Again Congrats.

Bob K

Thank you very much Planner and Bob for your help.  We are going to look into it today and apply online. Bob  even offered to introduce us to the people who run CPS in Sosua !  you guys are great !
Have a wonderful day !

Mail to and from the US takes about a month. Regular letters I have sent to and received from Barahona have always arrived, except for one of those musical greeting cards that had sort of a bulge in it .It never arrived. I have sent photos and letters, but I would not send anything that could not be replaced.

For stuff you want to send securely and fast, try FedEx.

Wow a month I am  impressed.  I am still waiting on some letters mailed to me 2 years ago....

Bob K

The mail system here is not much different than Central America at least Guatemala. My friends usually spend a couple of months there. They sent a post card and got back to the USA before it did. In Panama they have an unusual method at least for local mail. Please deliver my mail 4 doors to the right some famacy.

Same here "third house after the blue one on the corner, on the left"

Bob K