Get out of jail free card?

Question?
Does anyone know what happens if an Expat happens to end up in jail for whatever reason, but lets assume for reasons beyond their control. 
Q:  Are they allowed a phone call? 
Q:  Will their Embassy be contacted within a reasonable time? 
Q:  What actually happens?
Q:  Is there an info guide anywhere as I have checked with the British Embassy and cannot find anything?

gowiththeflowUK wrote:

Question?
Does anyone know what happens if an Expat happens to end up in jail for whatever reason, but lets assume for reasons beyond their control. 
Q:  Are they allowed a phone call? 
Q:  Will their Embassy be contacted within a reasonable time? 
Q:  What actually happens?
Q:  Is there an info guide anywhere as I have checked with the British Embassy and cannot find anything?

We have no 'rights' here, that's all I know.

Alliecat wrote:

No, I don't think its like that, first of all you end in a police lockup where they don't take away your cellphone, so you can call who ever you want.

After that they will try to contact your sponsor, who will act as your liason between u and the outside world.

They will not contact your embassy, you have to do so yourself in order to get them to interfere. If all of this is not done in proper time, you are transferred to a jail.

But all of this is dependent upon the gravity of the situation, and not sure if there is a guide "what to do if you go to jail"

so GWTFUK, i would recommend if you are thinking of killing someone invite them to ur country and do it there.

Actually, sly, I've heard of people 'disappearing' for several days, being held in jail with no outside contact.

Again, I think may differ depending on your passport and the whim of whoever is in charge at the time.

Hmm, very interesting.  Thank you Sly for this information and AllieC for your comments.

OK - I have also known situations where people can disappear for a few days with no contact and that has been known in many Countries, not just this one.  A good plan could be something like this:

Alert:
Always let someone know your ETA and destination
Allow up to 24hrs before triggering an emergency alert
Always have on person sponsor / Embassy / local friend contact details in event of a medical emergency
Always have a charged cell phone with emergency numbers noted under Emergency (only you will know if e.g. Sam on your phone is your sponsor)!

Check with your sponsor and Embassy on any emergency procedures they may have in place.

Nominate a 'guardian' someonme who will act as a personal contact in case of your imprisonment.

That's about all I can think of - anyone else want to offer any other solution or input?

slyshooter wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

so GWTFUK, i would recommend if you are thinking of killing someone invite them to ur country and do it there.

:lol:Thanks Sly, will bear that in mind :)

The situ depends entirely on the nature of the crime and why you are taken in.

If its a traffc offence then no hassle, you can call using yr mobile or even a land line that is available inside the detention centers.

If its a violation of the local criminal laws (booze, drugs, prostitution, sodomy, murder etc) then they give you a hard time and I am not sure if you will get a chance to call anyone.

If its terror or anything to do with politics, then forget about everything and say your last prayers, if you can remember them.

GWTKUK,

How long are you leaving hubby locked up? ;)

Maybe I'll hire a housemaid to follow me around and alert somebody if I get arrested ;)

Alliecat wrote:

Maybe I'll hire a housemaid to follow me around and alert somebody if I get arrested ;)

GOOD One. :):):)

Alliecat wrote:

Actually, sly, I've heard of people 'disappearing' for several days, being held in jail with no outside contact.

Hrmm...sounds like the states to me :p

you're thinking of Gitmo--that ain't the States (it's Cuba lol).

Alliecat wrote:

Yeah its not in mainland US but technically its still States :P

blue7ind wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

No, it's not :P:P:P  That's like saying Guam is technically the US :P

Alliecat wrote:
blue7ind wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

No, it's not :P:P:P  That's like saying Guam is technically the US :P

Gitmo is US territory right?

Its also like saying that if an American commits a crime in Arabia its not the Yanks fault

musicman wrote:

Its also like saying that if an American commits a crime in Arabia its not the Yanks fault

:lol:

this is becoming offensive to me so I won't be replying.

The difference between the various posts above is that, some are simply stating facts while others are just trying to sound smart.

KISS

Hey, no need for personal attacks here. I was just stating a bill that passed a few years back that allowed US Police/Border Control/Whatever to hold anyone (even US Citizen) for as long as they wish, without informing anybody, or allowing him to be in contact with anyone.

Here's a PDF of it.

Bad Bad Bad

always :offtopic:

I have met a few people in Riyadh who have been inside the cooler for all the reasons mentioned above. Its absolutely horrifying...

Rules of debate - do not take things personally, there is no reason to otherwise we will not be able to discuss anything here!

please concentrate on the initial topic, and do not hesitate to use the "report" button.

One of my friends landed in jail coz he was drove into a one way street as he did not see any sign denoting that. And to top it off, the oncoming vehicle was a police cruiser. The cop took him in while the guy next to my friend was let off. He came hurrying back to our dorm and told us what happened. The old hands were like, oh is he in jail?? Don't worry, they will feed him kabsa and let him off.

Someone from our uni then went to talk to police and finally he was let off after I think 4 hours during which they did offer him kabsa :lol:

Julien wrote:

please concentrate on the initial topic, and do not hesitate to use the "report" button.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:  How come this man aware of everything???I am so impressed ....

and this is again :offtopic:   Oops!!! :rolleyes:

Anyways gwtfuk....This is totally situational.The rules vary in Riyadh and believe me or not but it usually depends on Officer's mood a lot :(

One thing for sure, they always serve Kabsa in jail here

For those of you who do not know what Kabsa is - I created a new post for you with the detail (just so we do not go :offtopic::)

maybe we shud have a Kabsa Party for the bloggers one of these eid holiday nites?

musicman wrote:

maybe we shud have a Kabsa Party for the bloggers one of these eid holiday nites?

GOOD idea. :o

Yeah sure :)

gowiththeflowUK wrote:

For those of you who do not know what Kabsa is - I created a new post for you with the detail (just so we do not go :offtopic::)

I like kabsa :top: