What can be taken into Brazil - Dried fruits?

Can we bring dried fruits and vegetables (that we have dried in a dehydrator and are in ziplock bags) into Brazil? I do not trust fresh produce in other countries, and we will be in Brazil for 1 week, and need to have the nutrition in fruits and vegetables. The list on one Brazil consulate website says no fresh fruits and vegetables but these would be dehydrated. Are they acceptable?
Also, I would like to wash, prepare  and bring in small ziplocks my own trailmix which consists of raw walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, and cashews with a few raisins and dried cranberries. Will they allow those through?
Please respond as soon as possible as we leave in 3 days.

Thank you very much.

Actually, no matter what you try and bring into Brazil is likely either to get confiscated and destroyed or held by Customs and agricultural authorities for weeks on end until released. Even prepared packaged dry foods are subject to this kind of treatment. A US friend of mine brought back 4 small boxes of Kraft Mac & Cheese. He waited a month or so, and jumped through all kinds of bureaucratic hoops to get 4 Kraft Dinners into Brazil. My strongest recommendation is not to try and bring any kind of foodstuffs into Brazil at all. It can have the unexpected effect of having you stuck in Secondary Inspection, trying to explain what it is and why your're trying to bring it into the country.

Many imported foods are available in larger Brazilian cities, exactly what is it that you are looking for or feel that you just can't live without? Perhaps if you give us some idea, we can tell you if you'll be able to get it here.

Regarding the things you've already mentioned you'll find them all here in Brazil, and I'd recommend that you buy them at the Mercado Central here and make your own trail mix. It will be every bit as good and healthy as you make back home.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

The difference is that I wash my nuts and fruits/vegetables thoroughly with fruit and vegetable wash and then dry the nuts in the oven on low and dehydrate the fruits and vegetables in a dehydrator. If I purchased the nuts, etc. there in Brazil, I would not have the basins, space, oven, or dehydrator to do this in our hotel room. I do the same thing in the U.S. when we travel out of town for conferences and other events within the U.S.  I do this to be able to eat clean (as free as possible of germs and parasites and having very low pesticide residue) produce and nuts for preventive health reasons.

I also look for clean (purified/filtered) water sources so I would appreciate any recommendations you have on which brands of water in Brazil are more reliably purified and filtered.

Hi 8323.
I went to Santarem Brazil last year and I was not completely aware of what I  could and couldn't bring into Brazil. I am also concerned about my health. I took a variety of components for a  nutrition drink that I  make for myself in the morning. I didn't have any problems,  but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't have if the stuff had been inspected. I  can  see where it could have been a  big problem. I  was lucky nothing happened. I took  oat meal, Spirulina, Chlorella, protein powder,  and several other herbs and  spices that I make my nutrition drink with, and I got the fruit in Brazil, as well as the juices.
It seems to me that you may want to research what is available in  Brazil and I would imagine that you can find  something that is healthy and Clean.  This is an excellent topic to ask about. I am also interested in knowing more about what can,  and  cannot be brought into Brazil. I  imagine that it is going to be important to have a good selection of healthy foods where you are going in Brazil. I just decided to take what I was used to having for a  nutrition drink with me, but I might have been in a lot of trouble also. I  know that seeds are a problem.
I hope you can find out more about this topic. I am only able to tell you this much.
I am looking forward to learning more about this topic. I will post more when I learn more about this. Goodluck with your trip. Most people are not as concerned about what they eat as we are,  but there is plenty of healthy food in Brazil if you know where to look.  I am still learning about this. I am in Central California and I will be moving to Brazil in a few years. I  wish you all the best in your trip.
Cheers
Mark

Hello 8323,

With all due respect, and really not wishing to offend, but with your extremely rigid diet requirements Brazil is not the country for you. You will be spending more time desparately searching for foods that you deem safe to eat and water that you consider not to be toxic than you do sightseeing or working, if you're planning on coming here for work purposes.

Really, you will not be the least bit happy in this country, and the last thing that Brazil needs is someone going home following a short stay here and spreading the impression that is just the most terrible place on earth.

Coming here is not cheap, more expensive still if you're planning on making it permanent because you virtually must leave all of your belongings behind you and start all over from scratch here, shipping anything is so prohibitively expensive that I'd only recommend trying if your employer is going to pick up the bill. Then on top of that are all of the other problems this country faces that are extremely difficult to adapt to.

It sounds to me like you've got everything worked out just right for you in California, why take the risks? Really?

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

It just depends when and where you go through customs. Sometimes I've had them rummage around in my bags or they pick one person off the plane. I'm Paleo and find lots of healthy stuff in Goiania. For my kids I don't bring the whole box of macaroni & cheese, just the flavor packs. I would say it's a roll of the dice. Good luck!

As for shipping things here. I'm in the process and will fill everyone in on final cost. My soon to be old employer is paying partial and shipping in wife's name (returning Brazilian). Yes some things are expensive here and some are not. It's just a different way of living and we love it. I do have a back up plan just in case. A truck and RV in America. I will give it a solid year and then sell them once we are all settled in.