Need Advice

Hi,

I am 22, Irish. I would love to move to France. I learned French in school but that was six years ago and I have forgotten a lot. I love all things French. Is it possible to live and work in France without being fluent in the language. Once I am there I want to learn the language. I have a lot of hotel experience and thought I could work in housekeeping where the language needed is basic but when I applied for jobs I got no reply. Any advice?

Thanks.

Hi - you can get by without a great deal of French, but for the type of job you're looking at you really need to be here.

You can be sure that there are thousands of people in your situation.

You just have to take the plunge, choose your resort and present yourself to hotels. Put your CV and references together in French - get a teacher in the local school to correct it - and don't forget a picture.

The French are great on qualifications too - maybe more important than experience - have you got a recent food safety certificate?

At this time of year people are starting to plan for their skiing hols, so you could look at the Alps. There may be some online agency that you can apply through.

Another possibility is to contact expat gite or B&B owners and offer your services - but again, it's better to be in France rather than trying to organise this at home.

Good luck

Ian

Thank you.

Eilena wrote:

Hi,

I am 22, Irish. I would love to move to France. I learned French in school but that was six years ago and I have forgotten a lot. I love all things French. Is it possible to live and work in France without being fluent in the language. Once I am there I want to learn the language. I have a lot of hotel experience and thought I could work in housekeeping where the language needed is basic but when I applied for jobs I got no reply. Any advice?

Thanks.

What you have to realise is that ANY job vacancy will be applied for by at least a dozen FRENCH applicants, those at college trying to get experience----  those that have just qualified --etc etc --- and a French employer would, 99% of the time, employ French labour.
You could of course do as the illegal immigrants do in the U.K. --work "off the cards" not something I would suggest you don't even contemplate
Finally, if you have enough funds to live without work for sometime, come over and "busk" for a job, which means go from place to place IN PERSON, you never know, your luck might be in.

Eilena,

I can help you to write your formal curriculum vitae (CV) in french (Microsoft-Word, Open Office-Write, HTML, any transfer) and prospect companies to send your CV by e-mail from your home.

I ever said to you in my previous message: don't worry!

I'm project manager (IT development) and you can trust me.

See you soon,

Pascal