Trading business in kenya

I am an Indian. I want to start trading business in Nairobi, Kenya. I worked in China for more than a decade. I worked in many different products including Bed sets, carpets, blankets, garments, Socks, Spare parts etc. What is the scope of business in Nairobi, Kenya. I can deal in more products too. Should I stay in Nairobi or Mombasa ? Which is best place for me in Kenya to stay ? Do Zambians etc also come to Kenya for purchase of goods ? Are trading agents are available in Nairobi ? Can you suggest me some one who can work with me as an agent on commission basis in sales  ? I am coming in Nairobi on 1st Oct 2015. Please suggest me.
Sunil
New Delhi
India

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Promotion of own services not allowed on the forum

You will certainly need to apply for a work permit to actively engage in this type of business.  You would be able to register a company and trade with a Kenyan partner, but without a work permit, you are not supposed to engage in any type of work, so would not be able to legally work in your own company.

Dear Longonot62
You mean even if I register Trading company or Import Export company there, I cant stay and work there ?
Please explain me more. Do you know any Company formation agent ? If yes, please tell me his/her mail id so I can communicate before reaching there too. I have to stay there for a month and then my brother will stay there one month. Like this I want to do business there. I will be highly obliged if you give me more details.
Regards
Sunil

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum, you could use our private message system for that.

You will be able to register a company in Kenya, you just need a lawyer who can draw up the Articles of Association and do the registration process.  However, the irony is that you will not be able to actually work legally within your company without a Class G work permit.  The usual visa does not permit any type of work.

The requirements for this are laid out below.  I got these from the Kenya Immigration website:

Class G Requirements.

◦Documentary proof of capital to be invested/already invested minimum of 100,000 US dollars or equivalent in any other currency.
◦Registration certificate of the company OR certificate of incorporation.
◦Copies of personal and company PIN (Personal Identification Number) if business is running.
◦For renewals; audited accounts for previous 2 years and a certificate of tax compliance from the Kenya Revenue Authority.
◦Processing Fee Kshs.10,000 non-refundable.
◦Fee is Kshs. 100,000/= per year or part thereof.

It isn't made very easy, unfortunately.

Hello there,am Griphy from Kisumu city.I suggest you come to began Kisumu..and you will make it.I do sales and marketing..so am here for you.welcome.

Please ensure you have your immigration status sorted out before you engage in any business- by that i mean your work permit. It has been very frustrating for many foreigners who try to bypass the rules.. Once you get the right papers you will be okay to engage in business. Longonot62 has given all the details for class G which seems best for you..So don't engage in any partnerships or agents because they will be very costly and may not work..Follow the rules..

Hi,

Fro business registration kindly contact 0720241244 - they are lawyers and will advice on registration requirements+legalities involved.

Thanks.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please propose your offer in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello everyone

@ martinchege, can you please recommend your contacts in the Nairobi business directory section of the business directory with all the details so that members can contact them for a specific service ?

thank you in advance
Bhavna

Hi Sunil

I do trading business and am ready to work on commission.
Am based in Nairobi.

Mike

I think Nairobi is good place here good weather and lot of scope in trading.

Regards
Vinod