Bahrain indemnity law

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could help me with a query about indemnity law?

I worked in Bahrain from 2002 - 2014 at a small, privately run company. By the time I left, the business was struggling and they were unable to pay my indemnity. However, my understanding of Bahrain law is that the company should have been putting the indemnity amount aside during my tenure for me, so that I would get it no matter what the financial position of the company at the time I left. They did not do this - indeed back when the company was doing well, all the profits were being taken out of the country by the expat owner for his personal assets overseas, leaving nothing within Bahrain to cover the indemnities of myself and several others.

Can anyone advise on a) the legality of the actions of this company owner, and b) what my options might be?

I'm hoping to resolve this without legal action, but need to know my rights before negotiating with the company owner, who is claiming poverty, despite his considerable assets overseas.

Any advice would be most appreciated!

The law is there to protect illegal workers, runaway maids, people on a travel ban etc so that they may legally gain employment with no come back on themselves. As I see it your situation is not covered under the law. I suggest that if you have any queries then contact LMRA to discuss the matter further.