Cell phone

Hello!

I am about to be headed to Amsterdam for my fiance's work. My next project in preparation for our move is to figure out cell phone business.

I have been in the market for a new phone anyways. So I considered getting a phone that can use a SIM card in order to just switch out the SIM once I got overseas, but I have Verizon currently in the states and don't think they use SIM cards in order to make it compatible overseas.

So now I am at a standstill and don't really know what to do. So I wanted to get ideas on what other ex pats have done in their situations.

Thank you all for your input!

Buy a contract free phone when you get there.
The phones are easy to buy, and the chargers are multi voltage, so work anywhere.

mj329 wrote:

Hello!

I am about to be headed to Amsterdam for my fiance's work. My next project in preparation for our move is to figure out cell phone business.

I have been in the market for a new phone anyways. So I considered getting a phone that can use a SIM card in order to just switch out the SIM once I got overseas, but I have Verizon currently in the states and don't think they use SIM cards in order to make it compatible overseas.

So now I am at a standstill and don't really know what to do. So I wanted to get ideas on what other ex pats have done in their situations.

Thank you all for your input!

You don't think Verizon uses sim cards?? Well I think that's true if you have a Verizon iPhone.  As Fred mentioned, the easiest thing to do is either just get a prepaid phone/plan, or as I have, buy an unlocked phone and use whatever sim you like in it.

Romaniac

You can always get a 2nd hand phone and a pay-as-you-go sim card till you get yourself sorted out.

1. get a fee SiM (with dutch mobile 06 number) from Lycamobile.
myself use already many more years Lyca prepaid with happyness.!
Holland bundle cost € 20,-  a month for unlimited call & sms. (abt 1000 min fair use call & sms)

2. buy in the kijkshop a simple new simlock free mobile phone; i use my mobile  more than 4 years and my Samsung E1200 just costed € 10,- 

now you are reachable and you can make phone calls.

as i have also a smartphone too; without a SiM (no 06) and use that one for home wifi to app and so...

give me a ring when you successful are connected! :-D

xxx Hugs from Holland xxx

:cool:   no need to call me in real of course
I  was just kidding about that..  :D