Pet Parrot Supplies

I'm headed back to Costa Rica to live and need to find a good option for large parrot food and a large cage. Has anyone found a good source?
Thanks

Are you intending to 'try' to import a  parrot? This could be a major problem for you, so start checking it out...
There is also new rulings regarding keeping wild animals and birds  in cages now...even though we know that is done

Thanks and yes there are several hurdles I'm currently jumping to bring my parrot including a CITES permit for both countries.

Hola!  Re importing your parrot, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO IT ON YOUR OWN - please.  My daughter assists people with importing parrots into CR.  On her last importation and gathering of documents, I went with her on a few of her trips to SENASA.  I should be used to it, but I was surprised at the amount of required permits and requirements that are needed.

My daughter owns and operates a licensed parrot rescue center in Costa Rica.  Even if you do not use her services to help with your importing, PLEASE talk to her about the process.  She has helped a number of people with their importing and they can confirm that you "need" help bringing them in.  If the paperwork is not accurate in any way, the bird can be euthanized upon entry.  She speaks both English and Spanish and has connections with SENASA and the airport authorities.

She can be reached at [email protected]

Expat Dave
also a former Oregonian

We had lengthy dealings with Senasa (by mistake) when we ordered some cat treats through Amazon that were not available in Costa Rica.  The bureaucracy was unbelievable and speaking limited Spanish was not in our favor.  Please consider using someone who is familiar with the process for the sake of your pets.

All I already have professional help engaged and working on this import in both countries. I don't need assistance with the import.
This post is about purchasing pet supplies for my parrot in CR. I need to purchase a cage and Harrison's for him.

While Costa Rica is now allowing importation of birds after a time when they were restricted to enter the country....but check if you can repatriate them, if Costa Rica doesn't fulfill your expectations.

Sorry, Harrison's is not available in CR.  There is no real "parrot food" available in CR.  Most people make their own mix of nuts, legumes and seeds and then of course make up the majority of their diet with fresh fruits and veggies. 

Because I care very much for birds, I am just saying to be very, very sure that the person you use knows what they are doing and has references.  The average fee for this service is around $1,000.00 plus costs of about the same.  Just so others are aware.  Good luck with the importation.  Hopefully it goes smoothly for you.  Please let us know if you need any advise on it.

You can have a nice enclosure made for your bird as welders only charge about ¢3,000 per hour.  Next best thing would be to purchase one in the States and then import it.  Much cheaper than buying one here as they are too small and very expensive in CR.

- Expat Dave

Thanks Dave. I'm considering shipping a cage down but wanted to be sure it wasn't readily availble first. The person I'm using for the CR portion does have a lot of experience there and has an office in San Jose. They have been shipping birds into Costa Rica for many years. Harrison's isn't a requirement as I do most of his meals veggies, fruits, nuts and legumes already but he does love it.

If you're ever in the area and would like to visit the rescue, please feel free to drop by.  To see the work my daughter does you can go to Facebook:  - facebook.com/YellowNapedProject?ref=bookmarks

My daughter was asking what kind of parrot you have?

- Expat Dave

Dave
I have a Moluccan Cockatoo. I'll check out the rescue. I've worked with a lot of animal programs over the years and am always interested in what's happening.
Jody

Jody,
So you have a quiet, reserved bird.  :D   I love those guys, they are so comical.

My daughter works with Yellow-Naped Amazons and Macaws.  She operates the only breed and release sanctuary for theYellow Naped in Central America. 

- Expat Dave

Dave
Yep he's quiet as a mouse. Not

I did take a look at the FB page and saw she got a parrot from the jaguar rescue. I did a bunch of work with them when o was last living in Puerto. I'm hoping  I work with the macaw program out there this time.
Thanks again