Dongle and mobile phone.

Hi, I arrive in Nairobi on Friday morning and will need a new mobile and a dongle for my laptop. Could anyone point me in the right direction of the Kenyan equivalent of a Carphone Warehouse, please?
Many thanks

Jules

Hi Jules!

Welcome on Expat-blog! :) I have moved the discussion on the Nairobi forum. I hope other members will be able to help you.

Good luck
Christine

Hi Jules,
Did you get your phone / dongle?
If not, go to the nearest Safaricom / Telkom Kenya - Orange / Airtel shops (at the main commercial centres: Sarit, Westgate, etc.) and you'll find what you're looking for.
Hope it'll help
Thanks!
Fab

Hello,

Safaricom is the best provider in Kenya. They have USB dongles for internet access.

there are dirent places to buy. if still intrted i can show you around 726918402

Hi Jules,

I have found Orange modem/dongle for Ksh1999 best value, Orange owns Telkom and they are the provider of internet to all other mobile companies, they offer good bundles for 30 day periods. You can find them at orange.co.ke
I use Airtel mobile as my phone network ...
Hope this helps you out...

Mark

Hi Jules,

It's better to go an Orange Telkom shop, they have good prices.

For me, I'm going to Westgate (1st floor). So if you are living in Westlands it's better to go there.

Cordially,

Youssef

Hi, I arrive in Nairobi next month.Could anyone tell me ISD call rates to India.

Hi Jules

I've settled for Orange and it works okay.

Hi JS Chupal,

ISD calls to India are pretty cheap at Kenyan Shillings 3 per minute i.e. only Rs. 1.50 per minute. It is much cheaper to call India from Kenya than the other way around.

However, it is advisable to go for a prepaid connection in the beginning so that you are not taken by surprise when the bill arrives.

Safaricom is the best provider in Kenya for voice and Orange for Data

I disagree, Airtel is the best for voice calls (in clarity and rates) and Safaricom is the best for internet (fasted and most reliable in the market. Just not the cheapest)

i have already made a benchmark for all operators and i can confirm what i said

Karim Riyahi wrote:

Safaricom is the best provider in Kenya for voice and Orange for Data

I own both Airtel and Safaricom Voice connections. I find Airtel voice clarity much better.

Just go to any supermarket or AIRTEL/ SAFARICOM shop in any mall! id go for Airtel coz they do better bundles and internet speed is quicker, a modem dongle will cost 1000ksh hope this helps!

Hello dusty duncalf -> Thank you for the info. Just to note that this thread is dated 2011. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

i will be reecently shifting to nairobi...so please guide me with  answers to following questions
1. recommended mobile network
2. avg internet speed.
3. an avg cost of lappy with config.