What is the cost of food?

I need to send some money to a friend in lagos but they keep insisting they need 2000.00 for food that seem awfully High to me what about 300.00 dollars is that enough to live on for awhile? I don't know I live in the USA. Please help me Seems like an awful lot of money to me?
Thanks for the advice!:|

Hi Helpmeplease! Welcome on Expat-blog! :) Check out this thread : Cost of living, Lagos. Maybe this can give you an idea.

I wish you good luck and i hope other members will be able to advice you more.
Christine

Helpmeplease wrote:

I need to send some money to a friend in lagos but they keep insisting they need 2000.00 for food that seem awfully High to me what about 300.00 dollars is that enough to live on for awhile? I don't know I live in the USA. Please help me Seems like an awful lot of money to me?
Thanks for the advice!:|

is it N2,000 or 2,000 dollars? cos the latter is extremely high but ok if he or she wants to open a Food shopping mall! :D

2,000 dollars is what some people earn in nigeria as yearly salary!!

2,000 Naira is around 13 USD

Hi, I live in VI, Lagos, It depends from where your friend has come. To be honest yes food is expensive when you compare it from US, India or China. Every thing is imported here. Imports are from China, India and Europe. If your friends are only into eating then US$ 600-900 a months is just fine, provided they eat 3-4 course home cook food with a single outing on weekends. If your friends prefer to eat all the time out and also into drinks, clubbing then their demand for US$ 2000 is just fine. Dear helpmeplease Lagos is pretty expensive when it comes to expat as we cannot frequent places which locals does.

Regards

Ankit